Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

FPoY (oops, again!)

There were two contenders for my favorite part of yesterday.  One I wasn't even a part of.  I got home and Nanny K said "wait until you hear what we got to do after nap today...here's a hint, I have a screwdriver!"  I did not guess, so she relayed the tale of how NB's bedroom door was stuck and no amount of her pounding on the door or disassembling the knob would make it budge.  She told of how patient LO was for 45 minutes and how, thankfully, NB was happy on the other side of the door as she tried and tried to get it open.  Then she explained that she resorted to asking neighbors for help.  On her second try, she found a neighbor several doors down home and able to help.  He rammed the door with his body until it opened.  This same neighbor saw us on the street last night and apologized for breaking our door.  It split as it was finally opened, and his forcefulness may have cracked the wall a bit too.  He offered to pay for the damage.  We had to laugh.  Our baby was stuck on the other side of that door and he was the one who got it open so Nanny K could get him out.  We are the ones indebted.  Last night as I thought more about the afternoon's events, I was really struck by how wonderful our neighborhood and neighbors are.   We may be frustrated with our small house, lack of yard, and outdated decor, but we will miss this neighborhood when we finally leave it.  There is no doubt.

*************

My other favorite moment of yesterday was totally unrelated to the first.  DH and I were able to have a date last night because Aunt Cat was visiting.  We tried a "new" mediterranean place that was quite casual, but tasty.  While we were eating a large middle eastern family came in to order.  They spoke Arabic to the man who seemed to be the owner.  DH and I had a brief conversation about the family and similarities we noted with DH's family.  I recalled DH's brother picking on him for his Arabic pronunciation of "baklava."  I had no idea if he was saying it correctly, but my brother in law seemed to think he was way off base.  I challenged DH to order the baklava for dessert and see if the owner understood him.  DH was confident he would, but neither of us planned to eat the baklava, so we didn't want to order it.  DH stood his ground and I took a chance.  I asked the owner to say "baklava" for me. DH was walking away as I asked, but heard the man's second pronunciation of the word...it was identical to DH's pronunciation.  Apparently it was a slang way of saying it.  DH reveled in his victory and chided me in my loss of the bet. All-in-all, it was a good laugh that made a casual date memorable. I'm sure DH will bring it up for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.