Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Pictures, Parties, and (family) Popping In

Wow, have the last twelve days been a frenzy of fun!  After NB turned the big one year old, DH and I finished up a heavy work schedule, then put the final touches on plans for a family photo shoot.  I am only a little embarrassed to report that there were no fewer than six shopping trips and numerous online purchases involved in garnering outfits that would flatter the whole family.  I hate to admit that as I'd like us to seem effortlessly coordinated when the final pics become available.  Who am I kidding? I don't think anyone really pulls that off, and certainly not when the guest of honor looks best in colors that are different than what everyone else normally wears.  In any case, Toona popped down to visit NB for his first birthday party and she arrived in time to help us schlep our crew to meet the photographer.  NB, our sweet, almost always chill, usually happy NB, randomly skipped his afternoon nap on picture day so he was a hot mess during our evening shoot.  LO, normally a bit of a tough cookie if he knows you want to take his picture, turned into our photographer's best friend and stole the show.  By the time we got the better pictures (I think) LO had shed his shoes and plaid top shirt, NB was stripped down to a diaper, and DH and I weren't even in the pictures...lesson learned (maybe).  Most of us had a great time.  We made it home all dirty and sticky from cake smashing and way past bed time.  I am so excited to see what the photographer got from the whole thing.  I hope the pics are pretty special. (I'll share the link for them when they are available.)

DH and LO entertained Toona for the next couple of days while I worked my usual days and brainstormed final details for NB's first birthday party.  We have only ever had family parties at home, and I am so grateful for them.  I am in real trouble when I have to pull off a real party at a specific time and make sure all guests are taken care of.  I used to think I was good at that sort of thing, but every time  I've had a birthday party for my boys I've run late, put my family to work serving and decorating, and still managed to neglect major details (I think this is the first year I've had food other than cake!).  Yep, I'm in trouble when I have to do the real thing. I think everything turned out ok this year though.  My family is very forgiving that way.

Grams, Gramps, Aunt Cat, and Nanny K all popped over for the big event.  We asked for guests not to bring gifts since NB doesn't need anything.  They all brought gifts anyway.  Some even brought gifts for LO which was so sweet and helpful.  I chose a "ball theme" for the party as it's the only thing I can tell NB really loves.  We hung beach balls (his favorite) from the ceiling, had beach ball cakes, and gave him a ball pit as our main gift.  He has warmed up nicely to the ball pit and enjoys crawling in and out of it, throwing the balls in and out of it, and crawling and kicking in it.  LO, who never would step foot in a ball pit, loves to be in this one.  Something about it being NB's gift, I'm sure.

Here are too many pictures of party day fun.
 




Opening a pop up toy from big brother
 
Da gave him a spoon to play with while I was getting the cake.  He tried to use it to eat, but the fondant was too hard for him.  He finally got some fingers in the frosting, but never really dug into the cake. 
This pic is so typical of my NB.  He is working the table cloth with his feet, and is trying to grab the ball. 


Nanny K and LO were twins, so she asked for a pic.   We love our Nanny K!
Mom, Da, and the birthday party boy.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, as I recall they key to hosting a successful party is friends or who are willing to pay attention to the details while the hostess is busy being the emcee. Nice for friends to love each other that way.

    Thanks for helping us enjoy from afar! Looks and sounds like a great day. Who knew little brothers could elicit a love for ball pits from big brothers. It'll be fun to see more of that dynamic. Of course it's a given that big brothers have lots of influential clout. LO is off to a great start that way.

    Love,
    DB

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.