Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Twelve Month update...two days early

Well buddy, unless you master a major new skill in the next 36 hours, this will be your 12 month update. I am writing it early because I know we will be busy with family and your birthday celebration this weekend. Tomorrow I hope to steal a few quiet minutes to write a birthday letter to you. I have written so many posts in the last month, it's a wonder there is any update left to write. Here's what I can tell you about your last month as a baby.

We've had a lot of fun! You have done a great job of exploring the house, learning to use your toys in new ways, and learning to entertain yourself. In the mornings you usually read your books while I fix your food. This week you have played beside me while I worked to make lots of food or get the house ready for your birthday. You still keep me on my toes as you rush to get into the refrigerator, laundry closet, cabinets, or dishwasher any time I open them. That comes in handy if you're headed for the stairs or starting to put my shoes in your mouth. It does not, however, make my kitchen work very efficient! You have not yet learned to open the cabinets yourself, but I'm sure that will come soon. As I've spent more time in the kitchen this week, you've adopted a spot right beside me as your favorite play space. It is so sweet to feel you pull up using my legs and stand holding on to my pants. You turn your little face up to mine with a "mama-mama-mama," usually seeming to have interest in whatever I'm making. If it's something you can eat, your face just beams when I "sneak" you a bite.

We have also had a lot of fun exploring the outdoors. We go on a walk every morning before your nap. At first you loved to touch the leaves on all the trees. You would point to the same trees and bushes every morning and we've stop and let you touch them. In the last week or so, you've gotten interested in the neighborhood animals. You've enjoyed watching Roxy and Scout run and jump. You've petted them a little and they've licked your hand. You tend to be more interested in them from afar. You look for the grey kitty every morning and your face lights up when she comes meowing. You've learned to pet her gently rather than yank her hair. This week you've become enamored with the orange flowers on our walk and the pumpkins in the yards. Perhaps you like the color orange? You've been to the park twice and the beach, and both were a hit. We head back to the park next week for your one year pictures...hope you've learned to like the grass by then!

You've cruised the furniture more and have even stood, oh-so briefly without holding on. Those skills and your budding sense of adventure have earned you your first bumps and bruises this week. Somehow you managed to do a face plant while crawling and smashed the corner of your head on a toy. The next day you pulled a toy from a basket onto your cheek. Both of those boo-boos may show up in birthday pictures. Your Dad said you just want to look more boy-ish since I won't cut the curls in your hair.

You've gotten much more vocal in the last month. We have no idea what you're saying, but you are much louder about it. It is not uncommon for me to have to leave the room or end a phone conversation because you are competing. This last week you started clicking your tongue. You think it's neat when your Dad and I do it and you do it back. A couple of times I have thought you said "meow" to the kitty, or "uh-oh"(which we say a lot now that you think dropping things is a game). Your Dad thinks I'm making this up and laughs at me. You've definitely begun to understand me more. Most of the time you will "bring/give --- to mama," and it is more clear to me that you know your name. You also respond to questions about whether you want more or are finished eating, though you still aren't keen on using the signs I use.

Speaking of eating, mom's cafe has been pretty gourmet this month. I have struggled with creating a more varied menu for you. Since your Dad and I still eat so differently from you, we can't just blend up a little of what we're eating. You also typically go to bed before we eat, so that means I'm making dinner twice. This week your most creative meals have been lentil/rice balls (a fun, sticky finger food), orange sweet potato puree, and pumpkin cheese pasta. Just when I was starting to get on a roll with the variety, my babycook died. I think I burnt out its motor from all the use it got Wednesday night. The jury is still out on whether we will replace it. In the next six months you'll be getting a lot more teeth and be able to eat more food like your Dad and me. Don't worry, I'll figure out some way for more gourmet food to be headed your way. You've done a great job with using your cup this month. I think you do best with the cup that doesn't have a lid, but it can be messy. Today you drank well form your sippie all day, then I gave you the regular cup for dinner and you tilted it up with the same force you need if there's a lid. That made a big mess. I guess we still need some fine-tuning there.

I've done a bit of thinking this week about just what I think your personality is at this point. I'm sure in hindsight I will be able to see that it is present now, but I have a hard time pinpointing it. I'd say the most consistent things over the last six months are your cautious nature and your desire to hold onto something. It still takes you about 20 minutes to warm up to most new situations. That is true whether the new thing is a person or location. You also still love to hold onto something all the time. You hold my shirt collar when we walk or when you nurse or the folds of the car seat cover when you're there. Otherwise you are very busy, always moving (you even kick the mattress until you fall asleep), and pretty content. I'm sure we've seen more of your personality it will just take time for us to realize it.

So you've had a big month, big boy. What a way to close out your first year. We love you and are looking forward to all the ups and downs of toddlerhood with you!

1 comment:

  1. As I post this comment LO's 1st birthday is almost here. I wish I were there to help you all celebrate (and give thanks...always thanks) for the blessing that he is in DH's and your and your extended families' lives. I hope and pray that we will be there (wherever "there" turns out to be) to help celebrate most of LO's childhood (and maybe young adult...only He knows) birthdays.

    Yes, LO is off to a very promising start in his first year. He has enjoyed the grace and provision a loving God and the love of two fabulous parents. He has grown to happy and health and inquisitive toddlerdom. Welcome to your second year my precious grandson! You are in the best of hands.

    Love,
    DB

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.