Friday, October 29, 2010
Twelve month check-up
LO had his twelve months check-up on Monday and it was a doozie. Fortunately, DH was able to come and it was a great help for him to be there. There really isn't much to report. LO saw his new pediatrician. Our old one is in Costa Rica, and then to Peru for 10 years as a missionary. The two pedis are very different. Where the old one was pretty serious, spent a lot of time with us and talked a fair amount. The new one is "cute, in a pediatrician way" per DH, bubbly, and figures we know what we're doing, so there's not much to say. She said LO is "a white boy, sort of" when we mentioned his reluctance to walk, and followed that with "he's just smart enough to not want to have pain on purpose." By which she meant that he is going to wait until he is very confident about his walking skills before he goes solo. The more striking thing at this visit was LO's weight. When he went last month for his flu shot, he weighed 19 lbs and 10 oz and was measured at 28 3/4 inches (I suspect the length is an error as it is less than his 9 mo length). I admit I broke out the avocado after that, but not for long. Recently DH and I have thought LO looked a little chubbier than he had. In fact, we've called him "chubs" more than once. So at his visit Monday I was only a little shocked when he weighed....22 lbs and 1 oz!!! Now this was right after eating, but I can't believe he gained over 2 pounds in about 6 weeks. His height was 29 1/2 inches. Those numbers put him at about the 30-40th percentile for both height and weight. He had previously been about 80th percentile for height and 40th for weight. His new pedi went on about how wonderfully squishy breastfed babies are and how proportional he is now. I failed to mention that he has only become so "squishy" in the last month which has nothing to do with nursing. I guess the growth curve saga will continue at our next visit in 3 months.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can so relate to the not walking thing but from the pics you've posted, I'd say he's well on his way. Don't worry. Last time I saw the pediatrician he said they were actually considering moving the ages for these big milestones because the back to sleep push has slowed every baby down.
ReplyDeleteI have had good luck with the sippy cups with straws. I especially love that when we got out, baby can still drink just fine if he has a straw.
You look like you're having so much fun! A year already, where does the time go?
Thanks for the cheers last weekend. So great to see you!