Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

P-u-s-h

I know it's cliche to talk about how different boys and girls are, but I really have been amazed at how LO naturally plays so differently than than little girls his age. As early as seven months, I could see his "boy" tendencies in his play. When I posted just last week, I thought LO's pushing of the stroller was about a new interest in walking. DH commented that "he smiles all the time when he's walking." In our grown-up way of thinking, we know LO's pushing of toys (he also does this with his jack-in-the-box, and push toy) is the latest step in his learning to walk, therefore that must be why he's doing it.

I should say here that the pics below happened when I had run upstairs to get the camera to take a picture of LO pushing someone else. His latest source of amusement (that's putting it mildly as this activity is good for serious belly laughs as long as DH and I can stand to participate) is pushing US! I am guilty of starting this. A few days ago, LO was pushing on my back like he does his other toys. When I pretended to fall over, he busted out in a big laugh. DH and I are suckers for his laugh, so I pretended that his gentle shoves were enough to roll me across the floor or push me over. To my surprise, he remembered our fun the next day and did it again. Yesterday he "pushed" me clear across the downstairs. (That was quite a workout for me!) So tonight when he was doing the same to DH, I went for the camera. Of course it was game over as soon as LO saw the camera; he headed straight for me. He was so enticed, then, by the proximity of the stroller (which is usually folded up and put away), that he decided to reprise his pushing it. Thus, the stroller pics.

As I prepared to post these pics tonight, I realized the similarities between his two pushing activities tonight. Sure, his stroller pushing will help his walking skills, but I am most certain now that his walking is a mere by-product of his real interest. That is, using his big strong boy self to p-u-s-h anything he can, and the sheer joy he feels in making things move.

By the way, I am well aware that this pushing people business may be a behavior I have to correct later on. He will have to learn the difference between play pushing that is ok and pushing his peers which, of course, is not. For now, I'd like to relish our playtime antics while I can. I should probably apologize in advance, though, to Grandpa, Lah-oo and Aunt Liz who may be the next push victims. If you aren't up for playing, then we'll start learning the difference when we see you.

1 comment:

  1. Heck, I can hardy wait to play pushing games...sounds like great fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.