Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

To my big boy

Dear LO,

I was a little worried that, with all the love and attention your new baby brother would need, I wouldn't see the changes you would inevitably make between his birth and your birthday.  I remember feeling like I checked out of the rest of the world for a good six months after you were born.  I thought I might do the same this time and, as a result, blink my eyes and find you'd changed too much while I wasn't looking.  Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I'm so pleased to say I see you changing every day.  While I struggle to express to you that I do see you, I am so very excited about all the big boy things I've seen.  Here are just a few of them.

  • you are interested in, and ask about, other people.  You ask Daddy how his day at work was, or ask about baby Kristen or how Nanny K's week was.  
  • you initiate pretend play.  Just this morning you drove the fat play doh truck Da made, loaded it up with something, then "beep, beep, beeped" as it backed up to dump the load.
  • you use the shower sprayer for bath. This is huge for your Da and me at bath time.
  • you are more obedient, and more defiant. Okay, so I'm not so thrilled about the last half of that, but I have to be honest here.  You have made big milestones in keeping shoes on in the car, or not asking for a million bites or tastes when I'm making dinner.  Still, teaching discipline is a process and we will be in that forever.
  • you are more respectful of your brother's needs.  You will go and wait for mommy in another room while I put him down.  You try very hard to play quietly while we put him to sleep.  While the overall result of those efforts still leaves room for improvement, your heart is so sweet in those moments that it warms mine to see. 
  • you are already such a good big brother.  Your eyes light up to see NB looking or smiling at you.  You want us to tell him when you have accomplished something.  "Look, NB, LO is so strong.""NB, LO kept his diaper dry." "NB did you see how fast LO is?"  I think you want to make NB proud of you and you will enjoy him looking up to you.  You are also generous with your kisses for him and want him to eat with you.  Knowing how much you like to eat, I think it's sweet that you want him to be a part of that.
  • your teachers all comment on how polite and smart you are.  Thank you for making your mama proud in that way!
Buddy, I know we've all made a lot of adjustments in the last three months to welcome your baby brother into our lives.  I think these have been hardest for you because there was no way you could have been prepared for them.  I just want you to know that I think you have done a really great job, and I know you will continue to grow in your love for NB.  I cannot wait to see you two grow up together. I hope that you two will be the greatest gifts to each other that your Da and I could have given.

We love you,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.