Of all the songs I sing to LO, it seems "Bye, Oh Baby" soothes him the most. It's the one he asks for at night sometimes or if he's been hurt or had a hard day. If I sing it to him without him asking, he often says "thank you for singing the song mama," or that it made him feel better. It is a song that my papa sang to my mom. and my mom sang to me. I suspect it has changed a bit over the generations, but it has been sweet to sing a tune with such history.
Last night, as we were putting LO to bed, he said he didn't want "Bye, Oh Baby." "What if I want "Bye, Oh Baby? I said. "Will you sing it to mama? How about to NB?" DH added. "Oh, yeah" LO said excitedly. Then he stood in his pjs facing NB with his hand on the edge of his bed and softly sang the most sincere, heartfelt rendition of the song I've ever heard. DH was almost in tears.
Such a sweet, sweet moment.
Thanks, buddy, for singing the song.
A little history of the song for LO & NB: Papa was the lead singer in a Southern gospel quartet. His father was a Freewill Baptist minister. My earliest memory of my Papa was when I was about 2 or 3 years old lying in his arms as he was leaned back in his big recliner chair. He sang "Bye Oh Baby" to me until I fell asleep. When I woke up the next morning I was in my bed. :)
ReplyDelete