Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Newbie Homecoming and first week

Here I am still trying to write about NB's homecoming, and he's already celebrated his first week!  Nope, the time doesn't slow down when you have two...not that I expected it to.  Here are some pics from us leaving the hospital just 6 days ago.  LO was given a "big brother" sticker, and he thought Lovie should wear it.  I guess Lovie is a big brother too, though I always think of her a more of a sister, who am I to argue? Nanny K not only showed up at our house at 4:45 am when I was in labor and helped orchestrate LO's meeting NB, she also played photographer for these shots while DH and LO got the car.









We got NB home just before LO was due for his nap.  After nap, LO had several spontaneous and very sweet moments with NB.  The most notable was when we placed NBin his crib for the first time so we could get LO ready for bed.  (PJ donning has happened in NB's room for a year or so, but will have to move out soon.)  NB started to fuss and LO went straight to the crib to say "it's ok baby brother."  He has done something similar a few times now, always without prompting.  It warms this mama's heart to see that tenderness and empathy.  Just prior to this, LO had some fun in the bath tub.  For a while, he seemed unaffected by the changes at home.  It was fun to have a little family time after a hectic previous three days. 





At the same time, DH and I were noticing how much NB really does look like LO did as a newborn.  Sure, their hair and eyes are different colors, but their faces are so similar.  How fun will it be to see if NB looks like LO as he gets older too?  When DH and I looked at NB while I held him during LO's bath, we both thought of this early pic of LO.  Without saying a thing about it, we knew what the oter was thinking and went for the camera.  Maybe it takes a parent to see it, but we thought we'd share in case others can see it too. 




LO in what we call his "monkey" pose.  We think NB's face looks like this in the above pics.

The rest of NB's first week flew past.  LO vacillated from showing a lot of interest in NB to sometimes saying he didn't want him here.  Honestly, half the time he says he doesn't want us here either, he's just in a two year old independence/negativity phase.  Several times each day, though, he'd ask about NB, bring us diapers or burp cloths, or try to rock NB in the swing or car seat.  Overall, I think he's still trying to get used to him, but has done well and has been very sweet.  NB, for his part, has tolerated being bounced around while LO climbs on me during nursing, he sleeps through beings rocked by LO, and tolerates mostly-gentle pats on the head well.  One morning I placed NB in the chair in LO's room while we got Lo up for the morning.  No matter how I have tried, NB has inevitably needed to nurse at the same time LO needed a diaper change or to get up from the night or nap time.  NB gets put off a lot during those times, and, so far, has tolerated that well too.  This particular morning, LO asked to sit with NB.  We couldn't find our usual camera, but grabbed these pics with the only one I could find on short notice.




I know the honeymoon may be coming to and end with my guys, but these moments have been priceless.  I know once we work out the kinks, there will be more to come. 

On a different note, DH and I have been struck at just how different things have been for NB in his first week compared to what we remember from LO.  LO was born in the midst of the swine flu epidemic and was too young to vaccinate.  In addition, we had record rainfall in the weeks following his birth.  He was also born at the beginning of what I think of as "sick season."  The combination of these meant that LO and I were pretty much in the house for at least 4 months with the exception of doctors visits.  NB, on the other hand, has a big brother to keep up with, and was born at the end of sick season.  As a result, this kiddo has been to the playground three times, the accountant's office (so we could sign our taxes), the baby store, the pediatrician's office (for his first check-up) and the grocery store all in his first week.  Hopefully he stays well in spite of all these outings.  We are trying our best to keep him that way, but maintain some sense of normalcy for LO. 

I think that about wraps up our first week together.  We had professional newborn pics taken yesterday that will be available in the next week or so.  That, in itself, was quite the exhausting experience.  NB was awake and cranky the whole 2 hours, something he hasn't been any other time before or since. ( I'm wondering if he has LO's sense about showing out when something important is going on. )  While we wait for those, here are a few one week pics I took.





achoo!


1 comment:

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.