Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

7,6,5



It occurred to me after my last post, that the mundane details of my life are not really very interesting. If they aren't interesting to me, I'm thinking they are REALLY not interesting to you. Still, if I didn't post, would you wonder what was going on in the land of Nages? Judging by the e-mails and phone calls I got when DH and I plugged back in today, they answer is "yes" for at least a handful of you. Maybe not so much because you want to read the mundane details, but more because you love us, support us, and desperately hope there might be at least one labor-related, not too mundane detail. I will put you out of your misery. There is not. So, if you still want to read about days 7,6, and 5, read on...but I really won't know if you just skip to the belly pic and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you did! ; )

7

T minus 7 days was last Friday, 10/2. LO's Aunt Lizard's birthday and my last day in clinic. YEAH for both. I'm hoping Lizard had a more fabulous time. (As an aside, both LO's aunts on my side of the fam have animal nicknames, Cat and Lizard. I do not make this up. They get along well in spite of what you might think given their namesakes!) Clinic was fine, which is saying a lot given the computer issues and drama we've had over the summer. All day people told me how little I am and how I don't look like I'm due in 7 days. Let me tell you...when your belly has applied for it's own zip code, you LOVE to hear how small you look...even if it's not true. DH and I did some last minute house clean up and e-mailing in preparation for our unplugged weekend. It was a busy, busy day, but well worth the effort to make days 6 and 5 happen.

6, 5

So here's the deal about the unplugged weekend. DH and I made this concept up (well, I'm sure other people have done it before) over the last year or so when we could actually get 1-2 days off together, but couldn't afford to go anywhere. Getting that kind of time together is extremely rare, so we've probably only done this once or twice. The idea is to disconnect from our daily distractions and responsibilities and focus on being together. We do this by turning off the phones, e-mail, avoiding the computer and TV for the most part, and promising ourselves not to work, talk shop or run errands. Inevitably, a little work, errand-running or web surfing happens, but we cut WAY back. In case these were the last days we had just to two of us, the last movie in a theatre was "The Informant!" breakfast was at "Sunrise" and dinner was on the patio at Davor's. We walked at the canal and in a random neighborhood with huge houses on land we cannot afford. We tried to sleep in, which meant we were up by 7:30 both days. We listened to REM, Kate Bush, INXS, Diana Krall, Natalie Merchant, David Gray, and Tracy Chapman (with a little BeeGees and Lionel Richie, to my chagrin). DH beat the pants off me in 80s Trivial Pursuit until I lucked out on my last question. The result for me was a chance to remember why I married DH and how great we are together. The result was reconnecting in ways that might seem a little foggy once LO gets here. The result was some big belly laughs, some serious talking to my belly trying to get LO to makes plans to move on out, and much needed relaxation. If it was hard for you for us to be out of touch, we're sorry. We really needed it and are so grateful to have had the time together. If you've never gone "unplugged" we'd recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. Mom said that if you don't have him on your own that they will induce you on the 16th? Is that true? If that happens I'm off work that day and I will head up that the night before if I can. If not the night before I'll head over very early in the morning. I CAN'T WAIT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom shouldn't have told you that because inevitably it would have to change just because I let it slip....call DW for latest update. Now, to DH & DW....I am glad you take the time to unplug and spend time together....that is what good marriages are made of...you are on the right track. I also appreciate being told ahead of time so that I wouldn't worry considering how close to LO's arrival this one was. Thanks! Glad to have you back online and I read every word. They are all precious to me. Anxiously, awaiting news of LO's debut:) Love you all whole bunches.

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.