![]() |
| He passed out in our bed when we got home. He had started the day tired, and it had been a rough morning. |
Monday, November 3, 2014
Not exactly what we had planned...
Our schedule for the last six weeks has been nuts. DH usually works seven twelve hour shifts and then is off for seven. With LO's birthday, special events for Toona and Gido, and Aunt Cat's showers, parties, and wedding, we've been grateful that DH has a flexible scheduler, but we barely know what day it is around here. Today was the last day we'd have DH off and not be traveling for another 12 days. We had a few things that needed to get done while the boys were in school. We took some time for ourselves and went for a run together after we dropped the boys off. DH checked his phone when we got in to find he'd missed 2 texts and three calls from the boys' school. I'd missed the same, and there was an e-mail. They all said please call ASAP, LO was hurt. That is never good. Not to mention the messages were 30 minutes old. We hopped our sweaty selves in the car and drove around the corner to find LO snuggled in his favorite teacher's lap with a small, but gaping gash on his left forehead. I was lamenting on the way in that I'd have to make the decision whether it was bad enough to need attention, but it was a no brainer. The only question was where to go. About 30 minutes and a call to our pediatrician later and we were on our way to the children's hospital ER. It actually wasn't too bad of a wait, but I'm sure the bill will be ugly. We only have video of before, but the "after" shots are pitiful enough. The patient on the other side of our curtain was screaming as we got in, so LO was thoroughly petrified. He did well with vitals and the application of LET (a topical pain medicine), but he was pretty loud when it came to irrigation of the cut and getting his two stitches. While he was loud, he was also generally cooperative. That's always been his MO. I helped hold him and talked to him some, sang some, and tried to stay out of the doctor's way. When it was over the nurse said "good job mom, we might need to give you a job!" Ironic given that I need one. I didn't tell them I was pretty well qualified, but I did enjoy the compliment. So, one and a half Magic Tree House books, some fruit tummies (from Halloween) and an orange popsicle later, we were out the door. I think he may scar a little, but overall it was a pretty good experience.
Not exactly what we had planned for today, and not the brother that I had pegged for getting stitches first, but life is full of surprises. This one was made a lot easier by the happy fact that DH was around to help and Papa and Lah-oo came to rescue to pick up NB and stay with him until we could get home. Not only that, but my neighbors and girlfriends came to the rescue with ingredients for dinner since I didn't make it to the grocery. It's so wonderful to be part of that kind of community. Thanks everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


From Aunt Cat: my poor buddy! I just want to snuggle with him. Adorable he crashed in your bed. I'm glad he's ok and hopefully feeling better. I'd be scared to get stitches too.
ReplyDeleteOh LO! Hope that you are feeling better! Scar or no scar you are still the handsomest 5 year old mountain boy that I have every know.
ReplyDeleteAnd, if I am add, thank you DW for this wonderful blog and pictures. I don't feel too far away from you all when I see and read the blog. You have put a smile on my face Love toona