Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Our 4 month old baby boy


Yep, another month has flown by! Things are starting to get fun in the land of Nages. I spend a fair amount of time pondering which of LO's traits are clues to his budding personality. For instance, he often holds my shirt sleeve when on the changing table and held the edge of the couch the other day while in his rocker. Does that mean he might become the toddler that always holds my pants leg? Is he cautious already? Aunt Cat pointed out that he's always moving, right down to his little toes even when nursing. Will he have trouble sitting still like his mama or be laid back like his dad? He still loves the ceiling fans, so we joke that he will work at a Home Depot, but we'd prefer that he own it or maybe go into some sort of aviation. Of course none of these things may mean anything, but it's fun to guess. Decades from now it will be interesting to see which traits were lasting.

In the last month LO has gotten much better at using his hands. Lately I've found him working his lovey to pieces when he wakes from his nap. In the last week or so he's started putting his hands together. He pulls his left arm across his chest so that he looks a bit like a bodybuilder striking a pose. I had thought he would be a thumb/hand sucker, but that has not come to pass...yet. He is putting those fingers in his mouth more often lately. He is also learning to grasp toys. He doesn't purposefully reach out and grab them yet, but if I hold them up for him, he will grasp them. He does particularly well with his plastic keys and his soccer rattle. Unfortunately as he enjoys their sounds, he is prone to smacking himself in the face with them.
I have been meaning to write a post about bath time. It is both my favorite and most dreaded time of day. LO has enjoyed his bath since day one, but until very recently he had a complete meltdown when we took him out. It took DH and me nearly four months to find the right combination of things to keep him from getting cold. Here's the latest (hopefully ultimate) solution: 1) thermostat to 71 2)space heater on in living room (where we dress him) 3) +/- oven on (for extra warmth in kitchen where we bathe him) 4) hooded towel zapped in microwave for 35 seconds just before we put him in it. 5) DH and I double team the diapering and pj donning to limit "naked time" I don't want to suggest that LO is high maintenance or anything, but it's quite a routine. DH and I still hold our breath when we take him out of the bath in anticipation of possible meltdown, but they have gotten MUCH better. Now LO's time IN the bath is awesome. As he's learned to control his arms and legs he has had so much fun splashing and soaking DH and me. He used to always open his mouth seeming to try and catch the bath water form the washcloth in his mouth. In the last week, he's started pulling his left forearm under the washcloth as I sprinkle water on him. I have no idea what that is all about, but it's funny to watch. Last week he splashed himself in the face which caused quite a startle. DH has loved LO's "bath face" that he makes when he gets excited. He extends his legs and arms,purses his upper lip and his eyes get wide. LO hasn't made it as much recently and we sadly think it's time may have passed.

This is the first month where we have noticed a loss of skills/habits as LO has gained new ones. Gone is his fencer reflex, and, I think, his startle. He also doesn't coo as often after he sneezes. In fact, he seems to coo less in general. I think he is taking more in just doesn't coo when he's focused. I tell DH he is practicing his manners and doesn't talk when we talk. Maybe he will be a good listener!

With the improved use of his arms and legs, playtime has gotten to be so much fun. He is beginning to tolerate tummy time a little better, so maybe he will roll over consistently sometime soon. (I think his bodybuilder pose is really his first step to trying to roll from back to tummy) He also sometimes helps turn the pages of his board books. He is beginning to use his feet more. We practice kicking his soccer rattle since I'm sure DH will have him in the yard with a real ball soon after he can walk. If he got his athletic skills from me, he'll need all the practice he can get! Perhaps the most fun is when he is ticklish. If you are lucky, you can get a throaty belly laugh from him by kissing his belly or touching it lightly with your fingertips. I can't wait for more of that!

One important, but not so fun thing of late has been the start of sleep training. LO's reflux has meant that he is used to being held for about 20 minutes after he eats. As a newborn, that time often coincided with sleep time. As a result, my plans to have him always be put down drowsy but awake went right down the tubes. So, it's time that LO learns to put himself to sleep. In the last month we've made great strides in shortening the length of time he is rocked before sleep, but now it's time for the big step. We started this past Monday and so far things are hit or miss. I think we may be making some progress, but it's too early to really tell. The hope, though, is that after LO learns to put himself to sleep, he will stand a chance of napping longer as he'll know how to go back to sleep if he wakes up too early. We are so grateful that LO is a great sleeper at night. Lately he has started an even earlier bedtime (6:30 or 7) and is usually awake about 12 hrs later. He is eating about every 4 hours. Do you see where this is headed? I think some semblance of a schedule is in our near future. I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

So a little personality, a lot of cuteness, lots of learning and some sleep training. That wraps up our last month. I tried to get some video footage today, but LO isn't into hamming it up for the camera. Grandpa and Lah-oo (my Dad and step-mom) are coming next week, so maybe we'll get some then. Won't it be fun to see where all of this has led by next month?

3 comments:

  1. It was so fun talking to you the other day and catching up! :) It's sweet to read about all Nages' milestones. Every day is a new adventure, for sure, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday LO....You are 4 months old!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday LO. Luv, toona

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.