This month we tip the scales toward your first birthday. There are so many exciting milestones between now and then; the coming months should be fun! Your dad and I are struggling a little with the one word to describe this past month. I think maybe "opinionated" sums it up. You have also been happy, easy, active, and a roly-poly (especially on the changing table and when I'm trying to put your jammies on!). Voicing your opinion is your newest trick though, and has been a loud one. You have learned that we respond to your cries and have used them to get us when we aren't around. You don't demand to be held or played with, but one step out of your sight and you let us know how you feel about it! You also are very interested in whatever your big brother has or is doing. That alone has had a big impact this month as you work hard or get vocal if you see something you want. Your brother also struggles with how he feels about that. I guess it's complicated for him. He likes that you like what he has or does. He enjoys a little power and control over having something you find interesting. Sometimes he uses that to try to teach you or show off. Other times he uses it to taunt you. You don't understand that he's taunting you yet, you just laugh as he shows you a toy and then takes it away. I'm afraid you aren't going to find that very funny for long, so we're working on some toy sharing issues right now.
Another word to describe you this month might be "biter." I really hope it is just because you are teething (which, frankly, does not seem to be the case), but you have been biting me a lot lately.
![]() |
| Is teething the cause of that drool on your chin? |
Other ways you lets us know you want something this month is by banging your hands. I am trying to use a little sign language with you, and you have done the "milk" sign in a non-specific way, but your universal sign of interest is hitting your hand on whatever you can. Sometimes it's the high chair for more veggies or cereal. Sometimes it's my thigh or chest to nurse. Other times it's the coffee table when you want a toy there or are excited about the music playing in the iPod. In trying to busy your hands and capitalize on your patting, I have started singing pat-a-cake to you. I'm not sure what it is about the song, but you really seem to enjoy it. You especially like it when your brother sings it to you.
![]() |
| Patting the football |
It is already clear that you love each other, but I want you to be each other's best buddies too. I know I might only have so much influence over that, but gosh I hope I use it well!
![]() |
| Ready to move? |
Amidst the squeals, cries, and hand banging you've used a few "words" to communicate this month as well. None of them are specific or very new. You had said "da-da-da-da" some before you turned six months, but then it disappeared for a while. You've said more "ma-ma-ma-ma" this month and "da-da-da-da" has returned. There might have been some "na-na" and some "gggggg" as well.
Other new things this month were, of course, foods. You started cereal right at six months. Since then you've tried avocado, carrots, sweet potato, peas, and oatmeal. Today we may try a little apples since your tummy seems to need a little help moving your cereal through. You have also tried a little water from a cup. Nanny K says you did well drinking from the tilty sippie this past week. We've only be practicing from cups without a lid. They are messy, but fun. I think we'll try some more green veggies this month and maybe a fruit or two. I'm trying to figure out your Thanksgiving menu. So far peas, sweet potato and apples seem like a pretty good meal. You'll have to wait until next year for turkey.
I couldn't have a whole update about you without mentioning sleep. (I could, but people might wonder if it was really me writing.) Your naps are so easy, and I am so grateful for those. I wonder if they are a trade off for your night sleep still not being very consolidated. Actually I wonder in hind site if your brothers naps were so dismal because his night sleep was so good. I didn't think so at the time, but maybe that was the case after all. It seems like there are only so many hours of sleep in your sleep bank. If you use up 5 hours during the day, you just don't have 10 more to use at night. I still really don't know what you are doing at night. I did leave the monitor on 2 weeks ago when your dad was on nights. You woke up at 2 am and started talking. You didn't cry at all while I was listening. You paused for about 10 minutes and I thought you were asleep, then you picked up talking again. At that point I turned the monitor off. Some days you and your brother seem happy and well-rested in the mornings. Other mornings not so much. I interpret that to mean some nights you talk more than others. I'm not making a big deal out of that any more, just wanted to say you still are having some middle of the night awake time. Maybe I'll check in again next time your dad is working nights. One day it will all come together. Having good naps has meant you have a pretty reliable schedule now. It gets a little funky on Tuesdays and Thursdays when your brother has school. I hate to do it, but I have to interrupt one or two of your naps on those days to get him to and from school. You roll with it, but I'm still working on how to adjust your naps on those days. Here's what our day looks like most of the time:
7:00ish Get out of crib (sometimes you are awake for a while before this)
7:30 eat veggies while LO eats breakfast
7:40-8 nurse while LO plays
8-9 playtime
9ish-11 morning nap
11-noon play
noon nurse
12:30-1:30 play or go outside
1:45ish-3:45 afternoon nap
4 cereal and veggie snack
4:30 bath or play
5-6 third nap, sometimes
6 nurse
6:30-7ish hang out upstairs while LO gets bath, then books, songs, prayers with LO
7:15 or so bed
That's about all that's fit to write today my little guy. I just have to close by mentioning that tonight, as I rocked you before bed, I think you gave me your first kiss on my cheek. Several actually. It was very sweet snuggling. Either they were kisses or you were trying to nurse on my face...I'm choosing to believe the former.
Here are a few more shots of you today. You still love balls, so you borrowed your brother's football to keep you a little still while I took pictures.
| "Heads up, Dad!" |







Thanks for the great update. That boy is growing up so fast! I hope to hold him again before he turns 8 months.
ReplyDeleteLove, Grams