Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Westminster Chimes

This is my grannie's clock. It plays the westminster chime. After she died 6 years ago, I realized that this clock meant a lot to me. It was the sound of her house when I was growing up, and the only chance I had to try to keep that with me. So, I was grateful when I was able to bring it into my home. Not long after, DH almost brought me to tears by randomly saying the chimes were grannie trying to tell me something. Every now and then the clock would chime and he'd say "Grannie's telling you to get it together girl!" or "Grannie's saying hello." I learned to think of the chime that way and it made me smile. When we brought LO home, the chimes welcomed him. As he got older, I noticed his face would light up when we'd return from vacation and he first heard the clock chime again. So it has been that this clock has become a part of our home. Then, about three months ago, the inevitable happened. The clock stopped. I worried about taking it to just anyone, then found a man who seemed to know more than I could imagine about clocks without even seeing mine. He told me the clock was so old he could not get the parts to replace the motor. I had a choice between the clock being silent forever, or the chimes being replaced by electronics. After much consideration, I decided to have it repaired. Yesterday, after three months of silence and six weeks in the repair place, the clock returned to our mantle. It no longer has a second hand, but otherwise looks the same. It sounds very different, but we are so happy to have it home. LO lit up once again when he heard it chime, then asked "mo, pease." Every 15 minutes the clock gave a little more of its chime and we heard "mo, pease" and "clah" (clock) about 10 times in between. It was so sweet to see just how much he loves it too. Welcome home Grannie.

3 comments:

  1. Fond memories of loved ones will
    always be with us.

    Luv, toona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok....I'm crying now. But, they are happy tears...because I am so happy that Grannie lives on in the lives of her family in a very special everyday kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet post! I'm glad you were able to get the clock fixed ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.