This post is weeks overdue. I'd like to blame that on the fact that I'm hoping to be sent some better pics that were taken by our hosts. While that's true, I'm sure having the pics would not have sped this posting.
Oh Steeplechase, Steeplechase. We LOVE Steeplechase. We've been fortunate enough to be invited by some colleagues of DH for the past three years. I always feel like we are mooching a bit when we go because we don't socialize with these folks any other time of year. DH says that's fine though, "it's a guy thing" he assures me. DH also pointed out that this is the only annual event we have. It's basically all about getting dressy casual tailgating, a few friendly dollar bets, and some fine looking horses running by periodically. It's also about spring, friends, food, and just kicking back for one fine afternoon. I had looked forward to this year's event since last year. I fantasized about LO being nearly six months old and finally able to make a family outing. I bought "steeplechase pants" for him before he was even here and held my breath as I squeezed his cloth diaper into them, them took them off, unstuffed the business of the cloth diaper and squeezed them on again.
Finally after pre-packing the night before, repacking the morning of, carefully timing our nursing and napping, we made it out the door and to the fields only about 30 minutes after the first race.
Here's a list of what we packed:
In the "little tripper" diaper bag:
2 bibs, 2 burp cloths, 2 hats, one cloth diaper, wet bag, one disposable, wipes, changing pad, a blanket (for sun protection), a change of clothes, 2 toys, sunscreen
In the "mothership" diaper bag (which we took "just in case"):
bib, burp cloth, 2 disposable dipes, another blanket, another wet bag, wipes, another change of cloths
Also in the car:
stroller, Ergo baby carrier, car seat, another blanket (to help with nursing), and all the stuff we thought we needed for ourselves.
Here's what we actually needed:
Ergo, one blanket, one diaper, wipe, wet bag, one hat
I think it's safe to say we need some practice in the "how to pack for baby" department!
Anyway, LO did great. I wore him in the Ergo most of the time and he slept. It was his nap time, but I think he was also a little overwhelmed by the sounds, smells, and all the people. You can tell from the pictures that he was a little hot and groggy by the end. We stayed for about three hours, then I rushed back to the car so LO could have his dinner before we drove home. About ten minutes from the house he had a melt down in the car that lasted about 3 minutes, then he fell asleep again. All-in-all it was a great day. I hope we are lucky enough to be invited back next year. I will post better pictures when we get them.


Adorable! toona
ReplyDeleteNice shot with the Dad in the "Foster Grants"!
ReplyDelete