Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spring is here!

It's spring in the South. After fall, spring is my favorite season. Unfortunately, it is a fleeting thing where we live. Blink, and the scorching heat of summer is upon us. This year, more than previous ones, I feel the need to really soak the springtime in. Perhaps it's because last fall was a blur. LO's birth and the weeks thereafter will never be forgotten, but somewhere among them the leaves turned, the nights became crisp, then cold, the holidays approached then passed, and we kept focused on our little family while the world kept spinning. Now, as the leaves are returning, the irises by our house are blooming, the baby birds are hatching and wildlife seems to be everywhere, I feel like LO and I are also finally emerging from our long hibernation. On our walks in the morning, I take the time to show LO new parts of the world. Twice I have handed him a stick. Sometimes I let him touch the leaves of a bush as we pass, smell the camellias (telling him, "this is a red camellia. red. R-E-D, red."), point out the petals of the cherry blossoms as they fall, or the smell of rosemary or chives on our front stoop. This morning I thought of letting his little feet touch grass, but opted to save it for another day. Every time I have shown him these things, I have thought how amazing it must be for him to see, smell, or feel them for the first time. It has also made me savor these essences of spring anymore as I doubt I would have slowed to notice them otherwise. For the record, LO seemed to think the rosemary and chives were a little strong, but everything else headed straight for his mouth, of course. We'll have to work on his palate!

What goes on in that little head of his? I asked DH the other day, "what do you think his thoughts sound like?" Mind you, DH tells me he can think of nothing. Is this a guy thing or am I just lacking this skill? I truly cannot comprehend how one's mind can just be quiet and without thoughts. It seems like it might be nice every now and then. Assuming LO has thoughts, do they sound like his cooing? Does he hear my voice in his head the way I hear his? I guess the world will never know. I digress.

Not only have LO and I made it out for walks most days of the week, but we have also made quite a few trips out of the neighborhood lately. It still is not easy, but we've been out three times in the last week. DH commented that he could no longer count our trips since LO's birth on his fingers and that is a good thing. We have been to the accountant's office, Steeplechase, Lowe's and Moe's. We also got locked out of the house for 1 1/2 hrs last Sunday and had to nurse on a neighbor's porch!

So I say again, spring is here. Not only in the weather, but in our lives. It's a time for growth, new life, and new lessons. It's a time of wonder in our little patch of the world.

Happy Spring!


2 comments:

  1. Of course there's nothing like a midwestern winter to make a person just jump for joy on these early spring days! And I'm guessing there is nothing like have a new life in your family to make all the new life that comes with springtime seem even more special and wonderful.

    As a friend of mine is fond of saying: "God is good...all the time". I think that with the arrival of spring and the arrival of a child it is easier than ever for us to grasp the truth in that phrase.

    Love Ya'll,
    DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to wish you a Happy Spring when I come to see you guys tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.