I really want my boys to love each other well and to have a meaningful relationship as brothers. It is really hard for me to know how to encourage that, or get out of the way and allow it to happen. It is especially tough knowing it's not something I can give or do for them. There are moments though when I secretly get to witness their relationship as it unfolds. Those are some of the sweetest moments, and ones I truly savor. This morning was one such moment, and it really sums up who these boys are right now.
While I was getting dressed this morning, LO was tasked with taking his clean clothes to his room and putting them away. He is afraid to go downstairs by himself, so he always either stalls or cons Boo into going with him. This morning Boo was willing, so they headed downstairs for several trips. At one point, they found a wicked looking house centipede. Usually those are dead, but they are pretty leggy and I can see how they would be off-putting. Apparently this one was alive. I heard the boys screaming as they ran to tell me. I encouraged them to just walk around it. Next I heard LO tell Boo: "You can do it, I'll be right here. You just pick it up and take it to the trash. It won't hurt you. Don't be scared; I'm right here." (Of course LO was terrified which is why he was putting Boo up to the job!) Then I heard "Good, now hurry, take it to the trash....Ahhh!" Followed by giggles and running. Apparently it got away. "Where did it go?" "Wait, (Boo) I found it! Here it is! Look, you just need to squoosh it. No it's right here. Just take this and go like that. Don't worry it won't do it again. You'll get it this time. I'm right here. Did you get it? No do this!" At this point I was a little concerned. These things can have nasty bites, and Boo wasn't likely to understand that or shy away. Before I could intervene though..."I GOT IT!!!!" Boo squealed. Along with "you got it! Nice job dude! Now pick it up and throw it away. Good!" Then they ran to tell me all about their conquest and defeat of the nasty bug.
All I have to say is I'll sleep soundly tonight knowing my young warriors have rid our house of the nasties, and my heart is a little fuller having eavesdropped on their sweet adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.