Pages

Friday, May 22, 2015

A landmark post for a landmark day

This is the 500th post for Little Nages.  I've had this little spot in the blogosphere for almost six years now, and all but a few of the posts have been written by me.  I can't believe we've reached 500! I also can't believe we've reached the end of the school year.  I now have a rising kindergartener in the house and, as much as he likes to say he's staying at his preschool, he's pretty excited about "big school" too.  It will be so sweet that nearly half the kindergarteners at his new school will be classmates from his preschool.  What a gift to start such a big part of his life with so many familiar faces and friends.

You might have noticed if you know me or have read here long, (chances are good if you're a reader, you're also family) that I really enjoy family traditions and rituals.  I truly believe that the best of those are the ones that happen accidentally.  That doesn't mean I'm beyond trying to create some though.  Over the last week as I contemplated the end of the school year, I wanted to do something to help the boys celebrate.  Pinterest had no shortage of ideas, but by the time I saw those, it was too late to make them happen.  I opted to just have a fun dinner tonight.  I had planned pizza or pancakes, so I decided last night to let LO choose.  He chose pancakes (which I should be making rather than typing this).  I opted to let Boo choose a location thinking he'd pick someplace in the house.  Wrong!  He chose the park.  So tonight we'll have pancakes at the commons.


Once LO realized I was willing to celebrate today with food, he took full advantage.  At first I was reluctant.  It's not a birthday, after all, so let's keep it simple.  This morning as I anticipated their excitement, I thought "eggs are easy, just make the boy some eggs, he isn't asking much."  So, I caved.  This morning ended up being a lot like a birthday breakfast with blueberry muffin tops, spinach eggs (our eggs are almost always green, I can't help it), and bananas.  Yesterday I had tried to meet up with Papa and Lah-oo to treat them to an anniversary lunch.  That didn't work out, so I ended up combing that with end of the year lunch, and LO got his request for all three meals being special after all. So it's been a day of cheering with friends, special meals, and anticipation of the months ahead.  I'm afraid tomorrow will be a rude awakening when the first day of summer break ends up feeling a lot like a normal Saturday, but they have to figure it out sometime.

So in honor of all the special things today, I have beginning and end of the year pictures of my boys.

First Day...

Last day...


Here's to relaxed schedules, more time with our homeschooling friends, catching up with our fellow pre-K buddies, being bored, and being kicked out of the house until supper time.  Maybe if they're lucky they'll get to run barefoot in the grass, chase fireflies, play in a creek, and drink from a water hose.  Happy summer break everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.