Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Aquarium trip

We have been without our Da around here for most of the last three weeks since the move.  Don't ask me why (because I don't remember...I'm sure it made sense at some point!) but we decided DH should work back in Augusta in June, but we could go ahead and move the end of May.  I think maybe it had something to do with giving his work a lot of notice, mortgage rate locks, and not being sure when our old house would sell.  Anyway, it hasn't been too hard, but we sure do miss him!  Back in late April, there was a Groupon for the Atlanta aquarium.  I had wanted to take LO there for almost two years, but the timing was never right.  Well, the timing wasn't exactly right this time either, but I thought, crazy as it sounded, maybe it would be a good idea to get the Groupon.  The only catch, it had to used by June 13.  Aunt Cat suggested we go before the move...which I thought WAS crazy.  I decided it would be good family time in the midst of DH being away and our life slowly being unpacked from boxes.  I've said it before, but expectations are the greatest downfall for a trip like this.  I tried to keep them low, but hoped that the boys would be well-rested, be good travelers, and have a great time.  Well, we missed that hope on nearly all points.  We awoke to both boys being terribly cranky (the worst crankiness of any day since our move) and NB proceeded to scream for at least 3 of the almost 5 hours in the the car for the day.  There's really no need to elaborate except to say that, had we had the option to go another day, I wouldn't have left the house at all that day.  Had Aunt Cat not taken the day off to meet us there, I'm not sure we would have all three survived the trip.  (I one point I looked at her over one of my screaming boys and promised, "We are NOT doing Disney for AT LEAST five years!).  Aside from their general disposition for the entire day, however, there were moments of joy and excitement that were a pleasure to witness.  They gave a me a glimpse of hoe something like Disney could be a magical experience for everyone.  Apart from the ramblings in this post, I expect I'll forget the ugly details and remember the high points.  To that end, here are some of Aunt Cat's pics from the day. One of MY favorite parts of the visit was the dolphin show which did not lend itself to pics, but was worth the hour (sans the scary part of the show which had the boys in tears...there really should be a warning about that. )  NB keeps talking about the "goldfish (dolphins) jumping and (being) scary."

LO had little interest in the touch pools.  NB seems interested, but his little arms weren't long enough. 


LO and the beluga whales

Aunt Cat and LO in the pop up window amidst the penguins.

NB was a hoot with this penguin.  He ran up and down chasing it along the viewing window saying "kiss penguin, kiss penguin!"

Mommy and NB's turn!


Aunt Cat noticed a couple of otters taken out of the exhibit by the trainers.  No one else seemed to notice, so we waited patiently and were rewarded with a front row seat to a training session.

Moving sidewalk through the salt water aquarium.  Obviously LO and I had opposing interests.


So that's the scoop on our little aquarium excursion.  The boys want to know when we'll go again.  I'm voting we keep things close to home for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.