Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

I haven't said it enough lately...

Yesterday marked 14 years since my sweet prince of a husband asked me to be his girlfriend.  Throughout the day yesterday I thought of that and created versions of this post in my head.  Should I say something about all 14 years? No, I think I've gone that route before.  How about the highlights of this year and a foreshadowing of the year to come?  Well, maybe, but not all of that is blog-able stuff.  Could I make it out of the house with the boys to buy him some goodie?  Probably,  but is that enough?

Then, as my husband hurried home to help me bathe and put our boys to bed.  As he texted me to say "leaving now. be home in 10" after twelve full hours of working hard…working hard at the job that provides so much for our family and allows me to help provide a quality home life for our family.  In those moments I was selfish.  I felt tired, sore, and stressed about work still to be done in my day.

After my boys were sleeping in their beds I looked at my husband and actually asked him if he really needed to eat dinner (it was 8 pm, I had eaten two hours prior), or could he help with clean up so I could make lunches?  The poor man needed to eat and said so.  I said I was fine with that. Then I, in return, spent the next hour and a half straightening the house while being short, selfish, and unkind to one of the most important men in my life.  I really just wanted to sit down and read my book.  I managed to do that just 20 minutes before bed.  I should have been grateful.  Eventually, I guess I was.  As he came to bed I had forgotten to even say "Happy Dativersary" to this man I love so dearly.  He, as genuine as ever, said it instead.  No bitterness in his tone; no anger for the lack of respect I had shown him.

I am so embarrassed for having behaved this way.  So I start our 15th year together with this:  I am so sorry honey.  I hope you will forgive me.  I love you.  I haven't said that enough lately. Yes, I will still be your girlfriend if you will still have me. Thank you once again for being a model of patience and forgiveness in our home.

1 comment:

  1. DH really is a "knight in shining armor"; not doubt about that! How wonderful it is that his princess recognizes and praises all those wonderful qualities. Any even more wonderful that DW is able to be accountable to herself for her own deeds and sometimes misdeeds. That is a foundation on which quite a castle can be built. I so admire you both!

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.