Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you...


Happy Birthday LO, Happy Birthday to you!!!!!  Today my big boy turned four, and in spite of having less time than I wanted for him, I think we made a pretty big day of it. His first real (as in able to invite non-family members) party is next week, but we celebrated as well as we could today. I have given a lot of thought to creating traditions for my guys.  To me those are the stuff of memories.  The more I try to create them, though, the more I realize that the best ones just happen or are ones I did myself as a kid.  So this birthday I passed one down and it was a hit.  I had to work today, and DH headed out of town this afternoon for a "big boy play date" (as I explained to LO).  We decided to start the birthday action off first thing.  LO asked for a special breakfast, so I promised scrambled eggs, toast, and f-r-u-i-t.  (The first word LO has learned to spell so NB doesn't have a meltdown when he hears it and wants it)  Just yesterday I decided LO was old enough to have breakfast in bed, so we surprised him by showing up in his room this morning with food in hand.  I'm pretty sure he thought he had woken up in heaven.

After breakfast, Nanny K arrived, and the dialed up Papa and Lah-oo for a little FaceTime.  Once we had the crew gathered, LO got right to opening gifts.  From us he opened two sets of duplo Legos (his first sets) and a new set of magna-tiles.  The latter he has really gotten into using lately and just needed more so he could build larger things.  Nanny K gave him a new knit hat, Harry Potter style, and a book "Mike Mulligan and his steamshovel" that she used to enjoy as a child.  We read the book tonight before bed, and it is long, but good.  Each gift was a hit in its own way, but I think Papa and Lah-oo's might have been the favorite...a ukulele much like Papa's.  That uke happened to be packaged with a small bag of about five pieces of candy.  It was truly a tough call whether the bit-o-honey I let LO have at 8:30 am was the favorite or the uke.  I think that says a lot about how much he liked the uke!  He was torn over whether to nibble the sticky candy or have clean hands so I would let him explore the instrument.  By the end of the day, we sat naked on the landing upstairs and picked the strings to "play happy birthday" to NB and then me.  He sang and played to us for about 20 minutes.  It will be amazing to watch him grow and learn to play, but if he never does, I have already had immense joy listening to him explore.



bit-o-honey and a new uke...what more does a boy need?


LO and Nanny K waiting for the garbage truck

LO and NB watching the recycling truck empty the can.  See the cool monster  paintings on the side of the truck?

After gifts and FaceTime I had to head off to work.  He played for a little while with his gifts, then he and DH were off to the fire station.  His class had a field trip there today, but it was not a school day for LO.  We didn't want to send him an extra day on his birthday, so he was allowed to just meet them there.  I think he enjoyed being there, but he was a bit scared by the fireman in full garb.  The man kept his distance, but then showed LO he was under the suit.  LO was ok with him after that.  What an important lesson!  I would never have thought to talk to LO about not being scared of the fireman.  I hope LO never needs to be saved by one, but I'm glad we took the chance to get better acquainted with them today.

Following the fire station visit, LO and DH played a bit, then LO requested lunch at his favorite place, HFTR.  DH and I had already decided to take him there, so that worked out well.  I was able to meet them, and one of our favorite servers, Natalie, came to chat with LO.  She has a son just a bit older than LO, so she is always sweet with him.  She asked about LO's birthday gifts.  He told her he got eggs and toast in bed.  When I redirected him to talk about gifts, he said he got candy.  Nothing's changed for this boy.  Food is definitely still his priority!  Lunch wolfed down his lunch of southern goodness, and chased it with the world's best banana pudding.  Then he climbed out of his booster to come snuggle with me.  He is still mama's boy, but he doesn't snuggle with me much unless we're reading.  I guess banana pudding is snuggle-worthy in his book.


 I hated to leave the snuggles behind, but DH needed some for the road.  I said goodbye to both of them, and headed back to work.  Meanwhile DH dropped LO back at home.  I think he played for a while there then had quiet/nap time.  I hustled through my afternoon at work, then raced to the soccer fields for LO's last game.

Coach Troy knew today was LO's birthday, so I think he gave LO a couple of extra chances in today's game.  LO was also more into the action today than usual.  He kicked the ball several times and played a lot.  His team chanted "birthday" on five during their breaks.  NB gave LO a very big sweet hug after his game. When the game was over, LO also got his first ever trophy, and his whole practice team and the parents sang "Happy Birthday" to him.  It was all very sweet.
Coach John and LO with his new trophy

The Rays (our team) and Comets with their trophies.  LO is second from  left.

We made it home in time for a surprise dinner of sweet potato pancakes that Da made for LO before he went out of town.  We found a gift in our mailbox from our sweet neighbors down the street.  It was a bike bell for LO's strider bike.  He has a buddy near Papa's that has one, so LO was excited to have on too.
Look mom, pancakes for breakfast!

Making a wish on his birthday cupcake

Cupcake on his face, and figuring out his new bell

While we ate dinner, I played voice mails from Grams and Aunt Cat. Then we had about a 30 second FaceTime with Aunt Liz before we dropped her call.

Bath time was a little hectic, but LO sang us through it.  He had to be tired as it was almost 7:30 before he even got in the bath, but he asked for bubbles, and I thought them a fitting end to our day.  When I went into the bathroom to get the bath ready, I found DH had written a note to LO on the wall. (and maybe a note to me on the side of the tub) He almost made me cry.  So sweet.


So LO took a bubble/glow stick bath for about 15 minutes, then we wrapped up the day with Mike Mulligan and our usual night routine.

I think our big boy had a pretty good day for a kiddo that has another party heading his way in just 9 days.  Thanks or everyone who helped make it special!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.