When he woke this morning, I found there was no need to have recorded his breathing. He sounded the same when he was awake. I had thought part of the noisiness was snoring from congestion, but it wasn't really. Aside form having really coarse breathing, he was working very hard to take each breath and had stridor. My baby was much worse than when I had put him to sleep. So, I carted LO off to school, and NB straight to our pediatrician. When she saw us in the waiting room, I told her of NB's stridor and she got us straight back. He got a poke of steroids in his thigh, and she planned to watch us in the office for an hour or so. I asked if she thought we needed the ER (I had considered heading straight there when he woke up), and she decided to send us. NB officially had croup and his little airway wasn't liking it so much. The ER have a medication to treat stridor that docs can't give in their offices, so Dr H was sending us to the ER to get that.
Dr. Lopez was our ER doc, and he said racemic epinephrine nebulizers were "old school" treatment. He much preferred hypertonic saline nebs. Guess I'm old enough to be considered "old school." He also thought NB had some wheezing (which I'm not really convinced he did), and he gave us an albuterol treatment which had no effect. Our saline nebs did wonders though. NB was breathing more easily for about 10 minutes after the first (3% saline) one, and he started to perk up a little. Our second saline neb was stronger and it really helped for about an hour or so. After that one, NB was smiling and playing peak a boo with the nursing staff. That's when we knew it was time to head home.
![]() |
| During our ER visit,; after the first saline neb. NB was starting to perk up a little. |
![]() |
| Finally with normal breathing, NB was ready to get into the ER cabinets...bedside urinal anyone? |


Oh my! Poor little guy! I am glad to hear he is feeling better. Hopefully the ER is out of the question especially for any B's! (bumps, bruises and broken bones)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear NB is doing better. Hope you can catch a nap every now and then! Give him a big hug and kiss from Grams....and LO, too!
ReplyDeleteHope NB's feeling better by now! Reading the first line in your post I was also expecting that some boy thing prompted his ER visit. Recording his breathing during the night? This old school would never have thought of that; that's a pretty good thought you had there!
ReplyDelete