Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Aunt Cat weekend

Aunt Cat came to visit a couple of weekends ago, so we have a few fun pictures and updates to share.
DH was working, so it was great to have an extra set of hands and easy entertainment by Aunt Cat.  She requested we take the boys to the zoo since she had not been with NB yet.  I think I mentioned before that these last two trips are the first times NB has really enjoyed the animals.  This trip with Aunt Cat was the first one we've made since NB has been walking well (over the last three weeks).  I remembered that our first trip with LO when he was walking was quite the different experience, so I was a little uncertain about taking the boys without DH.  I took the plunge though, mostly because I love my sister and I knew it would make her happy.  The trip truly could not have gone more smoothly.  Everyone had a great time!
Our second stop is always the penguins.  They were really active this time.  This emperor penguin was checking LO out.

NB mid-exclamation about the swimming penguins.  I think he could have watched them all day.


The boys and me watching the birds.

Some kind of pigeon species I think.  It's hard to see its mohawk well, but it was impressive. 

LO has been particularly interested in the gorillas these last two trips.  He doesn't want to get too close, but he watches them carefully.  Aunt Cat caught this one relaxing with his feet up on the glass. 

NB spent about a quarter of the time in the stroller and wanted to walk the rest.  He held up pretty well.   He loves to pick up leaves...often every, single, leaf.  He found this large one and carried it quite a ways.
NB still with his big leaf.  Doesn't he look like such a little man now that he's walking?
Call it jealousy or fatigue, but LO wanted the stroller.  NB was perfectly happy out of it, so they swapped.    LO often climbs on the front and rides.  He calls that move "yard waste." (Of course after the way the yard waste collectors hang off the back of our neighborhood garbage truck).  Here NB is trying to "be yard waste" for the first time.  Not to shabby little man.

Aunt Cat caught us bringing up the rear. 

The zoo is combined with the botanical gardens.  We never make it over there,  so it's nice that they have this herb garden near the petting zoo/farm animal areas. Here the three of us are talking about and smelling the mint.
Around the corner in the barn area, Aunt Cat set LO up to milk this  "cow."  Apparently he was pretty good at it.

The boys are both climbers now.  NB even more so than LO.  

Aunt Cat and LO feeding the giraffes.
We usually check out the aquarium area right before we leave.  It is dark and climate controlled, both very welcome after a couple of hours in the August sun.
After a couple of great naps from both boys, the four of us headed outside to play.  It was actually gorgeous weather for the time of year and we wanted to soak up as much as we could.  LO wanted to show off his improved bike skills.  We had taken his bike with us the previous week and LO had a brief chance to ride with his buddy E (Papa and Lah-oo's neighbor).  E has a Strider bike too and he was very comfortable on it.  I really think LO's time riding and playing around with E raised LO's interest and confidence in his riding.  This particular afternoon with Aunt Cat LO coasted longer and more steadily than I've ever seen.  
LO coasted with his feet up from the blue house to me over and over again.
He looked so cool just resting and propping himself up on his bike. 
NB wants so much to do what LO does.  He tried over and over to put LO's helmet on...
finally I relented and helped him out.
NB REALLY wants to ride like LO.  I lowered the seat so he could get on.  He's barely been walking three weeks and I believe he'd take this bike for a spin if I'd let him.
A rare picture of Aunt Cat.  NB finally warmed up to her and gave her kisses.

We love you Aunt Cat!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.