Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Making it look easy

I had to work every day last week.  I probably post about that every time it happens because a) it usually explains the extended lack of posting and b) I am always amazed by my girlfriends who work full-time and also manage their home well.  They definitely have multi-tasking skills I do not possess. Usually working a full week stresses me out a little. I feel a little extra pressure to set us up well for a week in which I do little cooking,shopping, or parenting.  I try to do everything I usually do the week prior AND prep everything for the next week.  This time I just couldn't do everything.  I did menu, shopping, and meal prep and the rest of the preceding week was LO's birthday extravaganza.  I am really blessed though to have an excellent husband and a great nanny.  Since I knew the two of them would be in charge of the boys, I didn't have to explain schedules or feedings or nap times.  I didn't have to worry about them when I was away.  I just had to miss them, and then get home and play with them.  Actually, it was a pretty good gig.

In the meantime, DH was home with them every day, and  Nanny K was here three days.  Between the two of them, LO got ferried to school and back without NB having his nap schedule disrupted.  The house also got cleaned, then tidied daily, laundry and dishes were washed, LO got some extra DH attention, and DH even ran errands and got a little time at the gym.  I came home most days to LO playing happily in the front yard with his diggers, Tonka, and John Deeres, and NB asleep for his third nap of the day.  LO ran to greet me and climbed into my lap in the car (to play with the buttons and switches, no doubt), then DH went in to get dinner together while I played out in the gorgeous fall weather.   DH seemed in a much better mood than I feel most days at home...it almost seemed he whistled himself to the dinner table most nights. NB even seemed to be cheering for DH as he started saying "da-da-da-da" last Friday.

Truly, I was relieved that they seemed to have an easy go of it, but, really, couldn't DH make it seem a little like work?  By the end of the week I told him I was in awe and wondered if we should be switching roles.  Maybe he should be a stay-at-home dad and I should ramp up my hours.  We talked a little about how different things were for him.  There were several explanations which I frankly think he  pointed out just to make me feel better.  He is always sweet that way. I also realized a few areas where I could loosen up a little and others where I might need to toughen up.  All-in-all, I think the change in scenery was great for all of us.  I started back to my full-time solo mommy-ing this morning with a fresh perspective...and two time-outs for LO in the first 30 minutes after DH left.  I guess not that much has changed in the last week, but DH sure did make it look easy.

Here are a few pics DH took while he was single-handedly Mr Mom-ing it last week.


Just one more reason why my guy ROCKS!  Thanks, Honey, for your hard work.  I love you!

1 comment:

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.