At first I didn't know how much he knew. After a few times of helping him through, it became clear that he knew the whole thing, but always started with some number of "e"s. His enunciation is not great yet, so it is hard for me to tell if they represent "b, c, d, e" since we start him off with "a" plus or minus "b" and "c". I guess time will tell. It was especially sweet that DH was home for this and got to see the tail end of it. LO just beamed as he sang it intermittently the rest of the night and we cheered. I'm certain this is something he has picked up from being at school, since no one who cares for him regularly has made the effort. That puts this mama's heart a little more at ease as I knew school was good for him, but it was still hard to start. So nice to see an objective benefit just one month in. Now we just need to teach him that the song represents real letters.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Singing the alphabet
Today during lunch LO broke into a few words of song from something I sang and danced (and had just generally been silly) to earlier in the week. "Stuck Like Glue" by Sugarland is not at all a mother-son song, but the chorus is so catchy that the song itself talks about the hook getting stuck in your head. LO asked for it about three times, so it was no surprise when he randomly broke out into "wa-oh, wa-oh" today. I sang the chorus for him a few times (I don't know the whole song, but he really only wants the chorus anyway), then he said "all done song." "Okay, so what should we sing?" I asked. His response? "e,e,e,eh, g,aych-eye-jay,k,el-mn-oh-p" It took about half way through that to realize he was singing the alphabet! DH and I have sung this with him here and there, but not with any regularity. It was so fun to see the way his face lit up when I recognized what he was singing. I added a few letters, then he sang some more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.