Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Snapshot#1 LO at 22 months

I have no idea how to record all the things I've missed blogging about this summer. It feels a little overwhelming now. I often end up not doing a task at all because I don't have time to do it perfectly. In an attempt to avoid that trap and savor some noteworthy events, I thought I'd try recording the things I can recall in "snapshots." While they may not be eloquent or profound, I hope they'll be worth reading anyway. In fact, I'm thinking that being the mom of a toddler lends itself much more to this kind of post anyway. Who has time to be eloquent when they're chasing, cleaning, counseling, teaching, playing, and loving their toddler?

My baby boy, you have changed so much since 2 months ago when I last took the time to record things. Your language has grown exponentially. One week in early July, you seemed to throw out a new word or three every day. Since then you've begun to speak in three to four word sentences. You greeted your Dad and me with "Good morning to you!" (lyrics to a song I sing you every morning). You copy everything you hear, so you're Dad and I have to be careful not to say things we don't want repeated. It's surprising how many colloquialisms just aren't appropriate for a toddler to repeat even if they aren't considered profane.

This last month your Dad has been studying hard for his board exams. Every day when you've asked for him, I've told you he's "studying" or "reading books." One day you said (out of context) "Daddy suck-ee!" What? Surely I hadn't heard correctly. "Daddy suck-ee" you repeated. I didn't know how to respond. That certainly wasn't something you'd heard from us. The next day I told your Dad, then it occurred to me what you might have been saying. When you said it again that day I clarified, "Daddy study?" "YES!" you replied. Phew! I thought. It must be exhausting to try to communicate with us sometimes, but you never seem to tire of it.

You are still a great eater. So great, in fact, that your Dad and I have to tell you your finished because you'd ask for "mo pease" as long as we'd get it. (We think you weight about 27.5 lbs now.) In the last week you've eaten beets, kale, broccoli, okra, mango, black beans, tomatoes, red bell peppers, green beans, carrots, yogurt, peaches, bananas, oatmeal, raisins, hummus, cheese, eggs, honeydew, and plums. I could go on. In all fairness we do have to disguise some things a little. You still are not game for anything stringy, and you are a little suspicious of plain broccoli unless I'm eating it. I'd say your least favorite food (that isn't stringy) is watermelon. I have no idea why, but you just don't go for it.

You've gotten a little more courageous over the last two months. At the playground you will now tackle the big kid slides without much hesitation and you love to crawl in the tunnels. Yow like to give me palpitations by leaning out in the spaces on the high platforms near the big kid climbing bars or stepping stools. You haven't stepped off without me yet, but you like to watch me hustle when you try. You've also gotten a little more comfortable with the splashing water features at the pool. You won't go under them or play in them, but on our last trip, you did like to use them to fill your cups.
Whether from courage or independence, some other things you like to do yourself are: brushing hair, brushing teeth, reading your own books, and walking up and down stairs (I still insist on helping for big stairs at home).

"Little Boy" by Allison Mcghee was a gift to us when you were born from one of my colleagues. It is such a sweet story to me. I like it both for its simple message about the things that are important in a little boy's day and because it features a daddy on nearly every page instead of a mommy. You ask for this book by name nearly every morning when you wake up and often after your nap. I sit in the floor of your room and you hang over the edge of your crib (because you like to spend a good 30 min playing in your crib in the morning while I beg you to get out and get your doupa (diaper) changed). We've read the book so much that I'm sure you've memorized it. Now, even when it seems you aren't listening and are reading your own book, I can see you mouth the words when I leave them out at the end of the sentence. "Little boy, so much depends on your...("yellow cup" you say) a serenade to ("wake up") and on we go. You now recognize parts of the book in your own life such that you became very attached to a (once disposable) yellow cup when we went to the pool last. You lately are fascinated by the sunshine on your carpet in the afternoon largely, I think, because "the sun that slants across your rug" is part of the book. You complete the sentences in most of your books now, but this one is a favorite for both of us I think.

You've impressed your Dad and me in several other ways. You know a lot of colors (including "(ma)gentahhhh" which you learned this week). You have asked and successfully used the potty about 5 times in the last week. I don't think your ready to be serious about learning to use it regularly, but we're pleased that you get the idea. You can name basic shapes, and are starting to count. You've counted correctly from one to five several times in the last week (incorrectly...1, 2, 3, 8 many other times). You also seem to have a pretty good memory. You very often mention an incident from about two months ago when another mom showed you a turtle before letting it go into the river. There are other stories form the spring that you dust off and talk about randomly as well. Interestingly, you describe these events that happened before you had the words to describe them. We knew you were paying attention and learning things all the time, but it is neat to hear you describe old events using new words.

Well, so much for a snap shot! There's more to tell from our summer, so maybe I'll try that approach on the next post.

1 comment:

  1. Snapshots are great! Can't wait to see you all soon. Love you whole bunches! XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.