Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

First Day of (Pre)school

Months ago I broached the topic with DH of Mother's morning out for LO. I wrestled with whether he was ready. I wrestled more with whether I was ready. DH asked me if I "needed" the personal time I would gain by sending LO. I assured him I did not. I was not considering it for my sake. Indeed I was more than reluctant to part with my sweet boy a few hours more a week. Rather I saw MMO as an opportunity for LO to have friends his own age and learn some basic school skills. Sure I could teach him letters, colors, and shapes. I could also teach him about sharing. I wasn't so sure I would be walking in a line around the house or have two-person circle time. I certainly would not be stealing his toys, throwing things at him, crying because I was upset or behaving in other toddler ways. As unpleasant as that may sound, I think other toddler's outbursts and behavior challenges are also opportunities for LO to learn how to handle his own disappointments, frustrations, or (hopefully) minor conflicts. As he so often does, DH responded to my insecurities over this decision by telling me just not to enroll LO. "You don't need the time and you aren't sure you want to send him, so don't." Ahhh, guy logic. So I ended up arguing with him about how much I thought he'd benefit. All the while I still wasn't convinced myself. Finally, I started researching programs and schedule appointments for DH and me to visit two of them. By the time we had visited them, DH made the decision that we should enroll LO. I still wasn't sure, but I had resolved to follow DH's lead.

So...after nearly six months of deliberation and a few weeks of preparation, LO went to his first day of MMO (which I prefer to call "school") on August 22. Thank you to everyone who prayed, wished us well, offered me tranquilizers, and called to see how the day went. I am pleased to report and I made it through the day! Oh yeah, and LO did well too. I do have to say that DH and I both nearly hyperventilated when the school director mentioned putting something in LO's backpack. "BACKPACK!" We had not yet even embraced the idea of school...our nearly two year-old needed a backpack? I am embarrassed to admit that I did not order LO's new pack in time for school, but he did have by today (his fourth day). He loves his backpack and his lunch bag. I wonder, is it possible that he grows half and inch and matures by months every time he goes to school? I surely seems that way to this mama. Here are a few pictures I snapped his first day. We'll get one with the backpack soon.
I'm putting on a brave first day face, but neither of us was too sure about it.


Every day LO's teachers comment on what a good eater he is or how much he loves lunch. I'm still getting used to packing it for him. For the first day he had sweet potato sticks, a broccoli nugget, and a hummus sandwich.

Here's LO just before was said our goodbyes. I think he thought I was staying. There was some crying when he realized I wasn't. I managed to hold it together and don't think he knew it was hard for me and DH too. DH especially struggled when LO started to cry. He'd never dropped LO off anywhere before.
After just four days (over two weeks), LO reportedly had his best day yet today. He had big smiles when we asked him about school after his nap. He told DH about "bubbles hallway," and told me about "mulch, more mulch" on the playground.

2 comments:

  1. Aww! We just got a new line in at work from Skip Hop and they are the backpacks and matching lunch boxes. I wanted to get one so badly for LO but didn't really think he would need it yet. Guess I was wrong! I can't wait to see which you got him :) Let me know if he still needs another one :) :) They are very cute :)

    -Aunt Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay LO, I have cleared space on the frig for some artwork....can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.