I cannot believe it's been two months since I've posted here, but no time to catch up now. That's probably why it's been two months. Life has been full, very full. For now, I sit in my birthday boy's spot at the breakfast counter, windows open to a humid pre-dawn morning, the sound of cicadas eagerly trying to rise the sun that won't be up for another hour. Downstairs my big boy is awake though. I can see his little green retinas on the night vision of the monitor screen. I have about five minutes before I need to warm his breakfast and then meet him downstairs to sing "Happy Birthday." That will begin the soundtrack of our life for today. This house will be filled with squeals and screams, giggles and fights, running and sword fighting, brothers saying "boo" and "to the rescue." I will not have this quiet again until I fall asleep into my bed tonight. I hope I will take pictures, and write about today, but, lately, living life has taken every minute of the day and much of the night. So for the minute I have left, I want to tell my big boy how very much I love him. (Why can I not type that without crying? I never cried before I became a mom).
I love your tender heart, your big words, your gorgeous brown eyes and long eye lashes. I love when you are kind and thoughtful with your little brother, and I love that you are doing that more and more. You are also starting to stick up for yourself with NB, and that gives me hope that you'll be able to do that when you need to later in life. (Something I've been a little worried about). You are smart, so smart you can work most situations to your advantage if adults are unaware. You have found some great buddies here on the mountain and I love most to watch you play with them. Boys running, laughing, making believe they are warriors, those are moments that make my heart smile. I have prayed for you to have great friends who love and treat you well and whom you will also treat that way. I wonder if these boys will be those friends. You have just finished your third season of soccer and had a great time. Your coach said you had more skills than the others! Wow, what a difference a year makes! You continue gymnastics, and enjoy the pit the most. You are still my cautious, rule-following, authority fearing boy. Lately, at bedtime, you've started saying "let's talk" and you spill the details of your day at pre-K. I know you are doing this to stall, but it is one of my favorite parts of the day with you. I rest my head near yours on your (still toddler) bed and you recount how sad you were that your friends got "yucky yellow," but you "always stay on best blue." You talk about playing super heroes with your friends on the playground and how you don't like to be the bad guy. You would go on and on, but I have to stop you to sing "bye-oh-baby" (or big boy) and say "good night." There are too many things about you that I love and I should write down before they become hazy memories, but my one minute has turned to 10 and if I don't hurry down with breakfast, it won't be breakfast in bed! I hope you have a fun and full day today buddy. Happy Birthday and thanks for making me a mom. I love you to the moon and back!
This brings tears to my eyes as I read it...you see, I love my big girl...whole bunches...forever!
ReplyDelete