Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

First dentist trip for NB!

We have a great pediatric dentist.  LO, who is typically a very cautious guy, has loved the office from our first visit.  From start to finish this place has its act together.  With the except of our visit after LO's 4th check-up (with shots) last fall, he has always done really well climbing up on the exam chair, lying back, having cleanings, and x-rays.  There was no question for me that I wanted B to have his first visit there too.  So last fall I signed him up for the same date as LO and yesterday, that date came up on our calendar.  It turned out that DH had to work yesterday and, given our slightly shaky visit with LO last fall, I was a little nervous about taking both boys by myself.  If LO set a good example, then all would be fine.  If he was scared and had a melt down, then NB would be spooked too.  Since I didn't have DH for back up, I asked Nanny K to join us.

So yesterday morning, I was a mom on a mission.  Our two appointments were at 8:35 a.m., a bit earlier than we have to be anywhere on a regular basis.  Low and behold, 7:50 rolled around and we were all ready and NB was asking to get in the car.  LO was excited to see Dr Baker, so we found ourselves on the road earlier than needed and, even with an ezra stop at the bank, we arrived for our appointments 20 minutes early.  The dentists' office is gorgeous.  He loves Alaska, so the office looks like a log cabin and has Alaskan themes through out.  I thought the boys would happily hang out in the nifty waiting room until Nanny K and our appointment times came up.  Nope!  They were happy to take us back early (without Nanny K).  I decided to roll with that and trust that LO would do well.  Sure enough, he had bite wings taken with barely a flinch, then hopped right up on the chair and requested chocolate toothpaste.  His visit was perfect, and Nanny K arrived just at the end.




Then it was NB's turn.  I thought he would be easy because LO had done so well.  I was wrong.  He did pretty well, but was really reluctant to lay back in the chair.  The hygienist was really sweet and said not to worry about it.  When Dr Baker came in, however, NB laid right down with very little resistance.  Nanny K and I were so busy praising him, we forgot to take his picture.  He let Dr Baker brush on his fluoride, then climbed right up in the hygienists' lap for an "all done" picture.


For a first NB visit and our first double visit, it was pretty seamless, and we rolled out of the office just ten minutes after our appointment time.  We will definitely miss Dr Baker and his outstanding staff!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Let's have a big round of applause for Dr Baker and his hygienist!!! They are rock stars in the world of dentistry!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.