Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sweet little moments and one sad one

There are several snippets from our last week that I think worthy of sharing.  This is going to feel a little random, but roll with me.

Last weekend Grams came to visit and she shared some really sweet time with the boys.  Particularly noteworthy was her time reading to LO.  LO likes the way I read to him, and it never really occurred to me that I probably get my reading technique from my mom.  She has always been an avid reader, and, I'm sure, read to me a lot when I was little.  I have the books to prove it, though I'm sad to say I don't remember her doing it.  Anyway, that thought occurred to me as she sat down to read to my boys.  She was actually trying to read to NB who was suspicious of her at the time (afraid that her arrival meant my departure, he wasn't giving her the time of day yet).  I suggested she just start reading aloud and seeming interested and at least one boy was sure to respond.  NB showed interest from afar, but LO snuggled right in beside her.  She read some book from my childhood ("Giants Come in Different Sizes") that, as far as I know, we have never read to LO.  It ended up being rather long.  I stood in the kitchen prepping a picnic lunch for everyone and listening to my mom read to her grandson.  She was great; much better than I.  She even naturally stopped to encourage LO to anticipate what would happen next (an important reading skill I often leave out).   LO must have loved it as I think he requested she read it at least three more times in her short visit with us.  It was just so sweet to see her connect with him in that way and also realize from where that part of my mothering  likely comes.

The picnic lunch I was preparing was for all of us to enjoy at a local playground.  The weather was gorgeous, so we were headed out.  When we arrived, we found there to be a spring festival of sorts.  It was complete with really bad music, craft booths, some food and lots of big kids on the playground.  So much for our picnic!  We did eat it there, but it wasn't what we had envisioned.  While eating, a person dressed as a panda bear walked by.  NB perked up and waved enthusiastically. Naturally the panda headed our way.  About half way over, NB started screaming and shuttering with fear.  Panda made a beeline for somewhere else, but the damage was done.  NB was clearly shaken and we spent the rest of our time there making sure we were nowhere near the bear. (Incidentally, LO used to be afraid of such characters, and was completely unfazed by this one.)  NB now seems to have PTSD from the bear.  All we have heard every 2 minutes since Saturday (5 days now) is "bear bye-bye?" "bear eyes" "scared bear"  "bear high-five" (brother gave one, not NB), "bear bye-bye?"  non-stop!  On Tuesday I took LO someplace that had an inflatable monkey, so now we hear "bear bye-bye?" "monkey bye-bye?" to the point that LO just says "mom, he's being really annoying when he says that. Can you make him stop?"  No buddy, I cannot.

After the bear drama at the festival, NB and DH went back to the house leaving just Grams, LO and myself.  There had been a martial arts demonstration and LO seemed to enjoy it.  We walked by their booth to find the panda bear was with them.  A girl there asked LO if he wanted to break a board.  He said sure, but it became clear he had no idea what that meant.  Once explained, he seemed bashful, but agreed to let her show him what to do.  He was to slide his back foot to the front, give a side kick to the board, and yell when he did it.  He wasn't interested in yelling, so he decided to let me try instead.  It was tough.  I tried to kick with my left leg three times with no success.  I then tried with my right and managed to do it.  LO said he didn't want to try so we left.  A few minutes later he felt braver and asked to try again.  (I should say here that I wasn't sure LO could do this.  His right leg is much stronger than his left, and he has had a little bit of a delay in being able to alternate feet one stairs or learning to skip because of that.) I knew LO would choose the stand on his right leg, but that left him trying to kick and make contact with his left leg.  He tried two or three times and yelled really well with each attempt.  I was proud of him for trying something so new, especially in front of new people.  His next attempt he stumbled a little and fell down.  He was so embarrassed.  He cried a cry I'm not sure I've seen or heard before, but it broke my heart.  He covered his face with his hands and hid in my arms.  I was so sad for him and tried to explain how proud I was of him for trying.  I really meant that, but I'm not sure he understood.  Ultimately we decided he could try again when he gets a little older.  I hope he will.

Fast forward to last night, everyone was in much better spirits.  My boys get a burst of energy every night after dinner.  They also each love different songs from Andrew Peterson's Slugs and Bugs album.  NB is partial to "beans" and "tractor, tractor" while LO loves "bears."  Last night we ate beets for dinner and I could tell NB was trying to sing "beets" instead of "beans" which I thought was cute.  LO didn't remember the song, so I played it.  He got a kick out of it too.  After dinner suddenly DH and I found ourselves in our little galley kitchen trying to get dishes cleaned up while my boys, suddenly in a diaper and underwear, were dancing to their songs.  We had an impromptu dance party in their undies and it was such fun!  While DH and I kept ourselves dressed, I have no doubt the underwear affect added much silliness to the party.

Finally, tonight I am just brimming over with mama satisfaction and joy.  My big boy, you know the one we had to drag to the soccer fields the first half of the season last year.  The same one who just got over crying at school and gymnastics every day for nearly 3 months.  Yes, that boy started spring soccer today...and he was excited about it...and he participated so well that his coach complimented him and made him the "first shark" for sharks and minnows.  He was a different kid on the field this time than he was when the season ended last.  Maybe we just had a good day.  Maybe he's grown in confidence and comfort level.  I don't know, but it was such a joy to watch him participate!  I hope this is the beginning of a great season for him.  I, for one, can't wait!!

1 comment:

  1. And so began the training of the panda bear :-) That mean ole bear will think twice before he tries that again!
    Too bad the board didn't break. You'd think they'd have breakable boards for little guys & gals. Maybe that was the beginning of their training as well! What a thrill it will be for LO to break one of those boards one day.
    What fun to be able to see LO growing in confidence that way. I'll bet he'll be on a roll for years to come!
    Thanks for sharing the moments.

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.