Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Digger Birthday Party Recap

As I sit down to finally write this, it is nearly a month since your party.  I'm certain I will miss details at this point, but that will not be getting better if I wait longer.  I'm sorry if I don't do your party day justice. I think you had a good time, if the fact that I hear you singing yourself "Happy Birthday" many mornings is any indication.  I hope these pics will speak mostly for themselves, and I will try to fill in the gaps. 

 Our month of October was quite a whirlwind.  Mostly of good things, really, but whirlwind it was. Two sets of grandparents (Bapa and Oo-oo, and Grams and Gramps) came to visit the week of your birthday as did Aunt Cat.  
It was wonderful to have family from far away here to celebrate with us, and I know you enjoyed spending time with them.  Unfortunately we had so much going on, that I felt a little unprepared for your party.  I had ordered a cake, bought some decorations, invited Nanny K, but the night before the big day I just felt like it was going to be a flop.  Your mama LOVES to celebrate people on their birthdays, and while I thought you were a little too young still for a huge shin-dig, I was worried that my preparations were going to fall a bit short. I have to say that Aunt Cat save the day on that one (and that Nanny K was a huge help). Aunt Cat knew about our "digger" theme and ran with it, making construction signs and trucks for decorations, finding hard hats (you had four to wear!), and suggesting that we make a roadway on the table top to jazz it up a bit.  When Aunt Cat and I were a little behind schedule with decorating, Nanny K (our one "non-family" guest) arrived, she chipped in to make things look great for your arrival.  Yeah for family and a rockin' Nanny to make your party theme a success!

So, without further ado, here are pics from party day...

Good Morning Sunshine!
Cheesin' for Aunt Cat
You and Lovie showed off your Sit and Spin skills before the party
This way to party!


Bob the driver man was our other big guest
Your special party hat

It really took some convincing to get you and Bob to stop playing and open gifts
You clearly still had not learned what a display like this means.  I think you might have an idea now!
I had to help you tear paper a first, so you'd get the idea.


You loved your magna-doodle from Grams!
and your stacking train from Bapa and Oo-oo

We didn't get a good picture of you unwrapping your gift from Toona and Gido, but it was really neat.  The multi-colored "roller coaster" in the background sends four tiny cars down the track and they flip over the ends!

Your Dad and I gave you a big digger.  We thought Bob could drive it, but he was too big.  We ended up with a stuffed fishy driver...why not?

After gifts, it was cake time!  Given my excellent planning,  I ended up letting you blow out candle on the floor.
Your cake had several small diggers and loaders on it.  You went straight for them, barely missing the lit candles with your hand!

The woman who made your cake paid such attention to detail.  She even crumbled up oreos and made trucks scoop them like dirt.   
I don't think you recognized your cake as "cake," but you sure wanted the diggers off of it.
Who cut that HUGE slice?  The top part of your cake was apple spice for you, the bottom was a sweeter lemon cake (my favorite) for everyone else.
"Oh yeah, I think I remember was cake is now!"
Driver men have to wear their hats!



Even after "nap" time, you were back to the construction site to play with all your new toys.  Happy Birthday Buddy!

1 comment:

  1. I love the birthday blog.  Great pictures!  I relived the day all over again. :)  -Pastfinder

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.