Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

July wrap-up

Did I mention we were going to be traveling a lot in July?  The fun thing about travel is it lends itself to plenty of pictures and stories.  It does not, however, lend itself to having those stories told.  We've been home seven of the last twenty days, and several of those were busy with tasks of transitioning from one trip to another.  We've seen friends, much family, driven a lot, and now we're just glad to be home.  As much fun as I know we've had, I'm struggling already to remember details from just a few weeks ago.  Better write about it now or it will be gone for good.

The week after July 4th, LO and I spent four days in our old hometown.  DH and I had considered going as the whole family, but we have trouble finding hotel set ups that allow the boys to sleep at a normal time without DH and I having to sit in the dark for three hours until we sleep.  Our old town isn't a big tourist destination, except for one sporting event a year, so there were no houses to rent.  In addition, Boo doesn't really have anyone there he remembers well enough to miss.  (Except for Nanny K, and we already had arrangements to see her shortly after).  So, LO and I road tripped ourselves back to his birthplace.  We had a great time trying to fit in all the people we've missed for the last year, and hoped desperately that the people we missed would understand.  LO had three friends with birthdays right around the time we were visiting, so we were able to make one birthday party and deliver a couple of belated/early gifts.  We stayed with our former neighbors who have three boys.  Their oldest is just three months older than LO and was his first play buddy.  Truth be told, his mom was one of my closest friends there, but the boys always had different interests and played around each other more than they played with each other.  This visit, though, both the oldest and next in line  hit it off really well with LO.  It was so sweet to see them all enjoy each other so well after this many years.  We were also able to play with his first and best girl friend. They fell back into the rhythm that is so natural for them, and it was sweet to see them pick that up as if no time had passed.  These two love each other almost like (if not better than) siblings.  I wish they could have more frequent visits.  Other than those visits, I went to see one of my friends, and we were able to attend the pool party for one of our other friends.  The latter was a crazy event, but so much fun.  It was a great way to see people I might not have seen otherwise.  LO swam like a fish and had so much fun. It was such a joy to see him enjoy the water after he has worked so hard in swim lessons this summer. I have absolutely no pictures from this trip, though I know some were taken.  (It's the downside to not having a smart phone these days) Maybe (wink, wink) some will get sent to me and I can at least update this post with pics taken with LO's best girl, her family, and Nanny K before we left for home.  This is the second time we've made this trip, and the parting photo with this group in this lunch spot seems like it might become tradition.

We were then home for four whole days during which DH worked, we squeezed in three swim lessons, a play date or two, and I tried to cook ahead so food at the beach would be easy.  All of those except the cooking ahead ended up being good things.  The latter was a good idea, but got left behind. Maybe next time....  The beach vacation was a combination family reunion type trip for DH's side of the family.  It was also our first real vacation in two years.  (Our last vacation was with this same crew at the NJ beaches.)  The jury is still out as to whether this will become a tradition with the whole family.  I thought that was the direction we were headed, and it seemed like a fun plan to me, but, well, the jury is still out is all I should really say about that.

This trip however, was to the Gulf, and the type of beach I have waited 16 years to share with DH.  You see DH doesn't spend much time in the water at the beach.  He doesn't like to be where he can't see his feet.  I have told him stories of clear blue seas the whole time we've been together, but this trip is the first time we've gotten to spend much time in one.  I had been nominated cruise director for this trip at the end of our last reunion, and I was a little nervous about deciding on a location for all of LO's extended family.  That was especially true since we moved a year ago and we would be headed to an area I've never been to either.  Fortunately several of my mountain girl friends were willing to give me time and advice about the spot where "everybody" goes.  It's so ubiquitous of a vacation spot, that I noticed the car stickers about the location long before I knew what they meant.  They are little blue circle with a 3, a sunshine, and the letter A.

There are a dozen or so beaches along that area, and, on the good advice of my new friends, and the decisiveness of my hubby, we chose one that was perfect for us.  Though we went smack in the middle of the busy season, our area had a private beach that was never crowded.  The weather forecasted 60-80% thunderstorms as late as a few days before our scheduled arrival, and I think it rained twice our whole stay.  We had green or yellow flag surf every day but the last, and a constant breeze off the water made the temps near 100 feel tolerable.  What made the whole trip for me though was seeing DH head straight for the water and never leave on the first day.  I knew I'd found my guy a beach with water he could enjoy for one of a handful of times in his life.  That made all the planning worth it. (Unfortunately hitting the water and not leaving for four hours also resulted in a second degree sunburn the first day, but he'll forget that by next time, right?)

The other thing that made this trip for me was that Nanny K was able to join us. Other highlights were sweet cousin and Uncle time for the boys, seeing Gido swim in the water for the first time in years, seeing Toona and Gido with the boys, and watching both boys enjoy the water.  LO snorkeled in the ocean and pool almost non-stop.  Boo enjoyed the ocean if he was being held, but also was delighted to be able to touch the bottom when the surf was calm.  He enjoyed the pool a bit more and was able to cruise around with the help of a swim barbell.  My personal favorite activity was leaving the house early with LO on two different mornings, being able to ride our bikes together three miles each way to a donut truck at the neighboring beach.  We picked up donuts for the house, and rode back with our bounty.  It was the first time I've been able to ride a bike with LO since he's learned to ride, and I was so impressed that he could handle the six mile round trip!  For the record, he didn't know there were donuts at the other end of the first three miles.  I just told him we were riding to find breakfast.  There were some downsides to our trip.  Unfortunately a couple that may be remembered for years, but none that are worthy of rehashing here.  Overall we left planning when we'd be back again.  We'd love to have a house we get every trip at a beach that always feels like our home away from home.

Here are our pics from everyone else's smart phones...


We stopped at a zoo on our first day of travel toward the beach.  It was hot, humid, and this fan was both fun and refreshing.  Here I'm showing the boys how funny it sounds to talk into a fan.
LO showed Boo how to feed the giraffes.
Boo was a pro.
Splash pad fun at the zoo was the perfect way to end the visit.
Our first walk over the dunes to the beach.  
One cool toddler ready for the sand and surf. 
LO had asked for a snorkel all summer.  As a reward for hard work at swim lessons, I bought one for our trip.  He wore it almost non-stop. 
"Are we to the beach yet?"
Almost, buddy...
We made it!  One of those beach set ups is ours!  It seemed indulgent when we made the reservation, but was probably the best decision we made the whole trip.
First time checking out the water.  LO was so excited...
Boo wasn't so sure.
Nanny K was able to join us for most of our week.  It was so wonderful to have her.

LO far left, NannyK, Boo, DH
The weather was pretty perfect even when the sky looked like this. 
This guy loved the sand, and only got in the water to cool off if an adult held him.  He did get really excited when he found he could touch the bottom of the ocean...until a wave smacked him in the face.  It's hard being a shorty in the surf. 
He didn't let that keep him down for long. 
DH holding Boo.  Even that far out, the water was to DH's waist and we could see our feet...and fish!
LO got into the sand action every now and then.  


Toona and Gido joined us at the beach several times.  Gido even got in the water for the first time in a decade.  It was so sweet to see him get to swim even if briefly.  
Boo made 'ice cream choc-o-late" for Gido

LO with snorkel, Toona, me (yes, I was there) DH
DH's cousins joined us at various times over the week.  Here with his youngest cousin from Nashville, and her son who is  about 10 days younger than Boo. Notice LO's snorkel?  He used it non-stop this trip, even in the surf. 
The boys' cousins arrived on day three, and the party really started.  C, especially, was in heaven.  That 6ft2in young man by LO is his eldest cousin!  When did that happen?
Boo, Doobie, M, and LO.  Though the cousins are all older than our guys, they were so sweet and so fun with each other. 
W, M, E, Aunt K, Uncle J
Most of our time was spent at the beach, but we had sweet indoor family time for two dinners, and a couple other afternoons.  Here Gido swings LO with his favors "La- loo, la,-loo, la -loo, la-la!"  The kids love it.
Boo's turn with Auntie Nana, Toona, and G looking on. 
E, Boo, Doob, LO hanging out, exhausted, waiting for dinner.
Doobie was so patient with these guys.  Of course you play basketball like this!

We took one break from the beach to enjoy the pool.
 L-R is my head, Doob, Boo on the barbell, Cousin M in the pink tube, and Aunt K
Doob, Boo, me, and LO
The rest of our week looked like this:


DH and me
LO (near), DH and me actually together in the water, what an unexpected little treat.


A rare moment of snuggle time out of the water.
These two almost never left it, even when DH had a sunburn from the first day.
Hey look!  All four of us in one shot!  Thanks Nanny K!

Trying to net fish
Hard to know who loves the other more.
ditto

A shot from the roof of our fantastic rental, with two of my favorite people.
Last dinner with cousin H, his fiancee G, Gido, Toona, and H's cousin (O). 
Well sunned, sandy, tired, and sad to depart.  Our last dinner and time for goodbyes.
 I'm not sure we'll ever have another trip like it, but I hope we'll have some that come close.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you made some wonderful memories! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.