Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

End of year wrap up

It's New Year's Eve and the blog still looks like Halloween.  It's been that kind of year.  In fact, while the blog looks like Halloween, it's the first of three holidays about which I have yet to write.  In the interest of getting the pictures logged in the correct year, I'm going to forgo lengthy details and just start uploading pics.  Maybe...maybe...I'll come back in the next week(s) and add captions, so check this post again if you'd like more details.  I've always thought the pictures were the better part of this blog anyway.  So here are pictures from the last quarter of 2014.  Enjoy!

We managed to find 20 minutes as a family to make pumpkins this year.  Pumpkin faces were made out of pieces like those found with Mr Potato head.  I thought each boy would choose on face for each pumpkin...




Silly me, if one face is scary...whatever you call this is definitely scarier!


LO's pumpkin had two faces, so it could scare you coming or going.

And mutilating the rotting pumpkin, well that's just good fun!


The boys were allowed to wear costumes to school, but we weren't sure how they'd survive the day.  So...NB was Superman by day.

This pose reminds me a vampire for some reason.  LO wore this Batman outfit to school.  I was pretty pleased with my non-crafty self for making the felt emblem on his shirt. 


Superman has both swords...ready to fight!
NB's teacher at school is also a professional photographer.  She sent us this pic of our little Superman.
By night they were the dynamic duo.  I made Robin's shirt and utility belt.  LO was apparently less impressed this my handiwork and chose this Batman pj top for his official outfit.  
 
It was cold, misty, foggy, and just plain disgusting Halloween night.  We have traditionally kept the trick-or-treating pretty low-key with our toddlers, but this year I thought LO old enough to enjoy a little more.  We visited the houses in our neighborhood with both boys, then DH took a frozen and soggy Robin down for bath.  
Meanwhile, at the Batcave....sorry, had to say it. I took LO out for the real fun.  Halloween really deserves a whole post.  I'm sure I'll write one eventually.  Let's just say there is a part of our community that makes it just magical.  Streets are blocked off and strung with lights, bonfires and tail-gating parties abound along the street.  "Grown-up" cider served among neighbors and there's even a "Great Pumpkin" that calls the children by name.  As miserable as the weather was, it was worth every step I carried my tired Batman, uphill (both ways), in the...

SNOW...

to get this loot, and enjoy that sweet experience with him.  I cannot wait until next year when, hopefully, the weather will be a little more cooperative.

My two trick-or-treaters the next morning.  

and the light snow they found shortly thereafter.



The first snow at our new house.  November 1, 2014

Eight days later, this handsome guy (with two stitches still in his forehead) was a perfect ring bearer for his Aunt Cat.
He guarded this case with his life.
He inspired his baby brother to come along.
LOVE seeing these three dressed to the nines!
And yes, they walked down the aisle in their capes...
and made themselves at home right in front of the bride and groom!
The hard work over, they enjoyed cookies and milk for dinner.
Hooray!!!!
Somebody missed each other.  We couldn't have made it through Aunt  Cat's wedding without Nanny K.  It was an extra special treat to have her travel to meet us.
Watching the mother-son dance, and holding my oldest baby.  I couldn't help but to imagine that it will be our turn out there one day. (Hopefully about 25 years from now!)

Can you tell Aunt Cat's wedding had purple lights?  I loved my new shoes for the wedding, but they didn't love me back.  NB thought he'd give them a try.
The boys really enjoyed her stay.
She was very patient with them, but I'm not sure the feeling was mutual.  DH and I found that, as sweet as she was, we are definitely not ready for one of our own.
Two weeks after our first snow, came another.   In spite of the smile I coaxed from him in this shot, NB was NOT loving it.  He has very definite feelings about weather; it's cute if not a little weird.

This guy, on the other hand, was excited. 

Catching snowflakes on his tongue.
Just a random shot from lunch with NB and DH.  Both LO and NB have been unfazed by the tang of lemon wedges at this age.  This was our first time making lemon smiles. 

Two days later found Papa at the grill with the Thanksgiving turkey.


Aunt L (Papa's sister) came to visit for two weeks.
She made fast friends with my guys all over again.
And Aunt Liz voted to trade culinary duties for boy time.  Always a winning situation as far as they are concerned. 
I have no idea why my sweet potato soufflé was photo worthy, but here it is. 
And here we are with full bellies.
I meant to have LO don this for Thanksgiving dinner, but we forgot.  
He makes a pretty fierce pilgrim, I think.
That Saturday was LO's last gymnastics class and he was allowed to bring a friend.   We have lots of video, but not many photos.  He definitely enjoyed having his buddy with him and worked harder, I think, than he ever has. 
After gymnastics, the boys played in the park with DH, then we thawed out with a carousel ride.


The Sunday after Thanksgiving was a mild evening and we found a local light display.

The following afternoon, DH surprised me by inviting LO to make a cake for my upcoming birthday.  I showed them a recipe for "hacking" box cakes to make them taste homemade.  They took it and ran. 



Three days later, it was still moist and lemony.  Such a sweet plan from my two big guys. 
If you look carefully, you'll see the caped crusader helped us trim our tree.
This one preferred to play with the decorations rather than put them on the tree.
After many trials with new lights, at last it was time for the boys to help. 

NB pulled out bows while LO tied them on.
It took us two days, but here "she" is, "Chelsea" our first Christmas tree in the new house!
On the first day of Christmas break, my mama baked with me....  Not sure if it was brave or crazy, but  we baked sugar cookies just the three of us.  I think it marked the first time I've involved both boys in the kitchen. LO's job was sifting, 
while NB unwrapped butter.
of course LO got in on the butter unwrapping too. I see this sweet expression on NB a lot "what did you say mama?" No pictures of the finished cookies.  It was a several day adventure as the boys had friends over to decorate them, then we delivered them to our favorite garbage men and fire/police men. 

Just had to include a picture of my boys in bow ties. LOVE it!
We hosted dinner at our house Christmas Eve.  I wasn't sure we would use table linens (I had bought napkins), but DH surprised me by ironing them.  The boys found them and decided  they were toys.  Suddenly, the Christmas Eve do-rags were born!
The consensus from family was the DH needed one too.  What a good sport our Da is!
Christmas eve tradition?  For the second year, the boys opened new pjs, and we gathered on the couch for... 
A Christmas Eve video.   I think Aunt Lizard took about 20 pictures of this...maybe to prove we actually watch TV as a family once or twice a year?
Christmas morning
Christmas morning breakfast bar.  Everyone voted to eat breakfast first, though they were intrigued by the basketball goal.
They were more intrigued by the smells from the crockpot, I guess.

In their matching Christmas Eve pjs and starting on their stockings.  It's hard to see, but NB is playing with a Moose.  He LOVES "aminals"
He thought it was pretty funny to get underwear in his stocking.

Moose and brother watch as NB plays with dinosaur RescueBots.  Yes, that is a flashlight in the leg of NB's pjs.  I think he's found that stuffing something in his clothing is the best way to keep it from his brother. 
His Highness propped up on the biggest beanbag I've ever seen.  He has since nicknamed it "Mt. Vesuvius."
Avengers sheet set for his new bed.  DH insisted that LO needed superhero sheets.   I was stuck on the fact that they are all poor quality.  DH won that argument, and his idea was a hit, of course. 
Batman sheets.  I chose these.  Still poor quality.  Still a hit.  As of Christmas morning, LO was still sleeping on his baby crib mattress.  His crib converted to a day bed, but our gift for him (the next day) was the delivery of a full mattress and conversion of his bed from day bed to full bed. 
Not to be left out, NB scored a Thomas the train blanket for his crib. 
He promptly climbed in the chair, wrapped himself in the train blanket and proceeded with gift opening there. ..

and book reading.  Really this is pretty typical for NB.  If he's still he's snuggled in something soft and looking at a book.
Grams sent this boy a robe, complete with his initials monogramed on the chest.  He spends many nights naked and waiting for his turn to bathe, so this is just the thing. As soon as he opened it he stripped out of his pjs and into his robe.  I had no idea he'd be so excited!
 
"How did Aunt Lizard know we needed basketballs?"  It turns out LO was pretty decent shot. 
The glove is a little stiff, but he has the right idea.
 The story in all of those is perfectly clear, right?  It's tough to leave the words unwritten, as I hear them in my head while I post the photos, but meatloaf needs to made, children need to be roused, a home needs to be run.  On this last day of 2014, those are my job and my joy.  Happy New Year to my ten or so readers.  We love you all. 

1 comment:

  1. We love y'all too! Thanks for the many pix! There were many that captured events that we missed so they helped to catch us up and to reminisce about the ones in which we were involved. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.