Oh goodness! It is April 18th and I haven't blogged a bit! Life has been hitting us at warp speed and there just hasn't been time to document. Unfortunately much of what has been going on is boring in the blogosphere. One thing that isn't allowed to be boring is that our baby boy turned two!! We spent last week on the mountain and NB had his second birthday there. Unfortunately he started running fever the day before and I was sick too. I had felt so badly leading up to his birthday that I didn't have more planned. We don't really have big parties with friend-guests until the boys are older, but I still somehow felt the NB was missing out this year. It turned out that what we did do was just enough. Since not much was planned we were able to have "birthday" in small doses throughout the day. DH just uploaded NB's pictures from our camera and I was struck by how pitiful he looked...he was just tired and puny. So, on that note, here are pics from NB's laid back second birthday:
 |
| I tried to hide party decorations in the sunroom until the cake arrived and everything was ready...busted! |
 |
| It was a ducky theme, so I filled this ducky bath with a few balloons. NB always tries to lay on things like balls, spinning tops, other toys. I was certain this balloon was going to turn out badly, but it held up all 26 lbs. |
 |
| Probably the most popular of my few decorations, the boys enjoyed hitting and running through the low hanging balloons. |
 |
| When everything and everyone was ready, we let the birthday boy open his loot. |
 |
| I was on video and Da was on still. The birthday boy wanted to watch himself, so the screen is facing out. I have no idea what I actually got footage of because I filmed that way. |
 |
| Big brother took his job as helper seriously, but NB held his own in the paper tearing department. This box held a lawn mower from Grams. |
 |
| This yellow bath toy is a "plui." It get filled with water which rains out differently depending on how it is held. Pretty neat little toy. NB is convinced it should be thrown...looks like a ball, right mama? |
 |
| "Monster bowling" (along with the plui) form Aunt Linda. NB knocked his first pins down and LO clapped. |
 |
| This fedora was from Nanny K, she finds the best hats. He'll need to grow into this one, but it looks snazzy. We missed Nanny K at the party (the first we've ever had without her), but she and friends K and AK sent a birthday video that was so sweet. |
 |
| Toona and Gido knew that NB would need a back pack soon; he starts school like brother this fall. His blue pack is just like brother's! |
 |
| After gifts, we decided to have lunch early with plans for cake after, then nap. NB found more ducks while he was waiting. |
 |
| ...and a duckie cup... |
 |
| and a yummy birthday lunch. |
After lunch, NB moved to the party table for his cake. He didn't get the memo that that was next and had a meltdown instead. He was just too sick and too tired to continue. All that birthday party fun can only distract for so long. I didn't realize he was spiraling downward, so I lit the candles in another room and, as I turned to take the cake into the dining room, DH was pulling NB from the high chair to take him for a nap. So... I blew out the candles and we all waited about 4 hours and tried again. After nap (and an outfit change because he had a blow-out and a bath), NB tipped his other new hat from Papa and mowed the hardwoods.
 |
| Papa and NB with matching cowboy hats. We're working on "howdy partner!" |
 |
| This cowboy loves his mower! |
 |
| Banana cake (a favorite flavor) for the birthday boy, |
 |
| and lemon cake for guests...because mama likes it and the birthday boy doesn't know how to make requests yet. |
 |
| Cake attempt #2 was a better success. His fingers went straight for the frosting, and then he blew out his own candles! |
 |
| I believe he got into this cake waaaay more than he ever did his first one. |
 |
| Mmmm, icing good mama! |
 |
| The cake was yummy banana flavor, one of NB's favorites. |
 |
| Check out that face full of crumbs! |
 |
| After cake, E and C came to ride bikes with LO and NB. NB's birthday surprise from us was his very own strider bike in green! He had been getting so excited about bikes and begging for LO's. Here he is about to go see it for the first time. Somehow he was less enthused with his own than predicted. Oh well...he'll love it soon enough! |
My baby boy you have gotten so big so fast. You are full of energy and emotion. You remain the snuggliest little boy I've ever known and I love to give you "mama 'nugs." You are so expressive when you are happy or excited, often shaking with delight. You love bugs, trucks, outside, mailmen (all toy figures and drivers are "mailmen"), ducks ("kack, kack"), and dogs ("goggie"). You are "all boy," preferring sticks, puddles, and mud whenever you can find them. One day recently you picked up dog poop, "poopie!" and marveled at how it squished between your fingers. Speaking of poop, you also have a fascination with throwing things in the toilet...most recently your toothbrush and sippie cup. When we tickle you, bounce you, or sing a song you like, you ask "again pease?" How can we refuse? This is how we end up listening to "Bears" and "Tractor, Tractor" no fewer than 20 times a week, sometimes all of them in a row. While you are so fun and lively when you are happy, you are equally bull-headed and insistent about what clothes you want some mornings, what food you eat, or how you want us always to "eat this" as you cram something inedible in our faces. All these things are exhausting, but somehow endearing as you embrace all the drama of toddlerhood. If only we could teach you to bite food instead of your brother, and keep your hands on your belly if they can't be gentle. We love you to pieces buddy. You have so many nicknames for a kid whose name doesn't lend itself to them. Lately I've warmed to calling you "Boo." My mom used to call me that and it's a shorter version of "___-a-boo" and "____-a-booty" which we've called you for over a year. So happy birthday Boo. I could not love you any more or any less. Your next year promises big changes, and I think you're going to love most of them. I'm certain your toddlerhood will be responsible for a number of new grey hairs in my head, but I think grey is beautiful, so let's have fun earning them!
It was great for Lah-oo and me to be able to celebrate your first two years this year. Keep practicing your Strider skills so that you'll be able to keep up with C and his brother E. I know they miss you and LO already and look forward to seeing you again soon.
ReplyDelete