These boys are really growing up here in the Land of Nages. It has been a really busy and pretty fun summer. LO has gone to "school camp" three days a week for a couple of sessions. Since he is such a big boy, he is allowed to be dropped off and picked up in the back of the school rather than being walked in. I was particularly excited about that development as it is so much easier for me when I also have NB with me. What I did not expect is that it seems to be so much easier on him, too. The first three days he cried when the teacher came to get him out of the car, but that weekend he said "Miss Donna says she doesn't want me to cry when she gets me Monday." I replied that we didn't want him to cry either. I suggested he just try going in without crying and see if it felt better. It was as easy as that. Monday came, no crying! He only had two more days of camp before he was off for three weeks, so I was a little nervous that he'd be back to square one when we restarted camp after our vacation. He did seem a little anxious, but he hasn't cried at all. After nearly two years of crying and fighting at about 80% of our school drop-offs, it is such an enormous relief to drop off without the drama. One day he even said he was looking forward to school! Can I get a "hallelujah?"
At the same time LO started school camp, we also started him in a little gymnastics summer camp. He went two days a week for two weeks. His first two classes (which coincided with his first week of school camp) he cried and was clingy at drop off. The first day was the worst, but also kind of funny. There are windows to the little gym area where the kids take class. Parents spend the whole 30-45 minute class time with faces nearly pressed to the glass either criticizing or awe-struck by their wonderkids. LO wanted me to watch, but I told him I would not until he stopped having a fit. Our friends Sam and his mom April took this session with us, and April watched as LO followed all directions and performed the stretches as asked. The funny thing was, I wasn't watching because I could still hear him screaming. (Not that the screaming was funny, but he was protesting loudly while participating more than any of his peers. That's my kid!) He settled down and really seemed to enjoy class. The next class he whined a little. Then, after Miss Donna's comment about school, Miss Angie (his gym teacher) told him the same thing. "Mama, why do my teachers not want me to cry when I go to class?" "None of us do, buddy. We want to see you happy, not crying. That makes us sad for you." I said. Sure enough, when he stopped crying at school camp, he stopped crying at the gym too. After the first two week session was over for gym, he had a four week break before the next session. He was a little apprehensive about his new teachers after the break, but he did not cry at all the second two week session. When I asked him for "happy things" and "sad things" one day last week he replied "my sad thing is 'cause I had to go to school today" (this is always his sad thing) "my happy thing is 'cause I had gymnastics." I really hate that he is still saying he doesn't like school, but I was really pleased that he enjoyed his gymnastics class. He was the only boy in the second session, but that did not seem to bother him. He was not the most coordinated in the class (sorry buddy, you probably got that from me), but I dare say he was the most attentive. That's quite the feat when you're the only boy in a class of girls. I think his greatest benefit from class has been an increase in confidence. He is less timid about parts of the playground than he was before class. He is also taking more risks at home (jumping off of things) and is really proud of himself when he shows off a forward roll or other gym skill. Most importantly, he seemed to have fun. Here are some pics of him practicing his gym moves:
 |
| Warm up with Ms. Hannah. Each child has a "spot" that is their seat while others are working. |
 |
| Ms Taylor helping him with a stretch during warm up. |
 |
| The first of three beam exercises. The beam is wider than normal and a little softer. They jump over the animals. He started being picked up over the animals and progressed to just holding hands. |
 |
| The end of the taller/normal width beam. Sometimes they walk and kick their leg out, other times just walk and jump off. They do "superstar" at the end of each skill. LO has to raise one hand since he's a boy. (the girls raise both) |
 |
| The last beam skill, they walk and sweep their foot along side. This worked best when they got to kick over bowling pins. |
 |
| Climbing up the wall... |
 |
| and sliding down. |
 |
| Bear walk up the ladder. The last class the ladder was longer and at more of an incline. LO said it was his favorite. |
 |
| Donkey kicks with Ms Taylor. After this they move to the mat at the foreground and put hands on the red rectangles and jump their feet outside their hands. LO was one of the only ones who could sometimes jump his feet up. |
 |
| Improving his forward roll form by practicing with a barrel. |
They did a lot more skills that I did not catch on film. NB and I were at every class, and DH even made it to most of them. NB was really excited the first sessions and seemed to want to be in the gym too. The second session sleep deprivation was more of a challenge for him. He spent the first three classes wanting to be held the whole time. He was really clingy and sucking his thumb (which usually means he's tired.)
The last class NB was more like he had been during the first session. He spent most of class on the floor in the viewing room. Almost as if he wanted to compete for the attention the kids in class were getting, NB made some new moves on his own during this last class. While brother was practicing forward and backward rolls, NB showed off some of his first steps!! He had taken three for me the previous Sunday (July 21st) when DH was at work. I could not get him to do it again that day. Then Monday and Tuesday we encouraged him to practice with his push toy by taking it to the local greenway. Maybe it was a coincidence, but just two days later he was standing with more confidence and took more steps. I was so glad DH and I were both watching. He took several more steps today, so I think within a week or so we'll have quite the walker on our hands. Interestingly, he has also figured out how to get onto the stairs even though they are gated at the top and bottom. I watched yesterday as be spent a couple of minutes maneuvering himself between the lower railings onto the steps. LO never tried anything like that. Just one more reason why a walking NB is going to be a force to be reckoned with!
I sure did enjoy watching you at gymnastics LO! Keep up the good work. I love you, Grams.
ReplyDeleteIt is great to see LO enjoying the gymnastics class. And a big "Hooray!" for his realization ('atta girl to his adults for leading him) that going to school/class/event is better in the absence of crying.
ReplyDeleteAnd a great big 'atta boy to NB for those first big steps...lookout world...this could be an exciting ride!
All in all this one sounds like a summer full of great memories and tremendous growth. We are so happy for you all!
Love,
DB