Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Eight month NB


 Our little newbie doesn't feel like a newbie any more.  He is eight months old today!  With all the hustle and bustle of the season, it has been a little tougher to find time to blog well recently.  Too often if I can't blog well, I don't blog at all.  I always know that's a mistake, but that's the way it works out.  Rather than doing this post late, I thought I'd try to make it succinct but timely. Here's the skinny on our little guy's last month.  

I worked the whole week after he turned seven months.  I don't remember much new during that time.  DH and Nanny K did another jam-up job of wrangling both boys and then it was time to get ready for Thanksgiving and visitors.  NB and LO had had colds for the week, and NB started waking up at night again for several nights and was very tough to console.  The Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I took him for his first sick appointment ever and confirmed that he had an ear infection.  Fortunately his antibiotics kicked in quickly and he was a more restful and happier boy in no time. The next day, Papa, Lah-oo and Aunt Liz came and the boys were on cloud nine.  Aunt Cat came for Thanksgiving day, and somehow we all managed to get a meal on the table and uncover the kitchen when it was over. I've already posted some pics from NB's first Thanksgiving, but here are a few more: 

Aunt Liz, LO, Mama, NB, Papa, Lah-oo 
Aunt Cat, Mama, and NB






That week was cozy, crazy, busy and fun, then we all caught up on a little rest. After everyone headed home, NB decided the coast was clear to break out some new moves.  DH commented "baby, you better watch this, he's starting to move.  I think we've got a week or so and he'll be mobile." About two minutes later we realized we had just a couple of hours instead.  NB was good at commando crawling in no time.  Initially he used the traction of his palms on the hardwoods, but soon learned a better approach for using on the carpets too.  Depending on his motivation (LO's garbage truck being especially tempting), he can make a bee line pretty quickly now.
LO's magna tiles are almost as tasty as the garbage truck!
Christmas decorations and their packaging served as other good motivators for NB's new skill.  We put the tree up on December 1st this year which is a little earlier than usual for us.  DH picked the tree out himself as there were logistical difficulties in going as a family.  He always wants the tallest and fattest tree we can fit, but exercised great restraint this year and came home with a tree that I think is perfect.  This was LO's first year helping to decorate.  We had so much fun that we forgot NB needed his third nap until it was too late to put him down!  (Sorry buddy)  As we took turns pulling out the lights, garlands and ornaments, NB made his way across the sunroom to check them out.  We look forward to letting him be a little more involved next year.
yummy lights!
Watch this Dad!  I'm going to help.
That garland is for me, right?
Made it! What's that big brother?
The next day, DH and I were treated to a trip out of town to see Cirque du Soleil.  This was a gift for our birthdays that Aunt Cat has planned for months. Both boys stayed with Nanny K all day and, I believe, this is the longest we've been away since NB was born.  We were home in time for the frenzy of bath and bed, but barely.  The boys did great with Nanny K.  It was some much needed time away for us, and both boys were in great moods when we got home, so it was fun for us to end the day with them.  
Those are the highlights of our last month as a family.  NB's most significant new skill is being mobile. He primarily commando crawls, but he is getting up on all fours and rocking so I think real crawling will not take him too long.  He still prefers to stand and often locks his knees and hips to try to keep me from being able to sit him down.  He enjoys standing at the ottomans or coffee table but is not yet stable enough to be left standing without a hand behind him.  If he can find something low enough he tries often to pull himself up.  Just this morning he successfully pulled himself up on a little basket at a friend's house. Usually he tries this on the edge of the bathtub while LO and I are brushing teeth.  So fun to juggle a toddler on a stool with running water and toothpaste drool and a baby about to bust his lip or fall into the bathtub.  (Note to self, find a new way to do this)  His interest in standing and  pulling up still makes me wonder if he will skip really crawling all together.  That seems less likely now, but we'll just have to see.
On your mark...
Get set...
Go?
Speaking of teeth, he still doesn't have any.  He has gnawed on more things and in different ways (like on the sides of his mouth as babies often do when teething), but I still don't see any about to pop through.  He also started sticking his tongue out as LO did when he got his first two teeth.  Lately he has been playing with his tongue in new ways.  He often clicks or smacks it off his upper gums or makes a "nya-nya-nya" sound.  When he started that and some other tongue play that is hard to describe I though maybe he was feeling something new in there.  Nope.  I think he just really is having fun playing with his tongue!  Otherwise I think he has most of the same sounds he had last month.  Plenty of "ma-ma-ma" and "da-da-da-da" and the occasional razz.  He is also showing signs of receptive language, so that is exciting for me.  He makes the sign for nursing, but I'm not sure he means to.  He does, however, get very excited if I make the sign.  We are also working on signs for "more" and "eat" and "ball."  I am also trying to be better about reading just to him.  He is usually around every night when we read to LO, but he mostly like to crinkle or eat pages, so they really need different types of books for their story times.  I hope he will grow to love them as much as LO does.

We haven't been terribly adventurous in the food department this month.  He has now tried oatmeal and rice cereals, carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, peas, banana, avocado, prunes, apples, and mango.  I usually put a little of what I'm feeding him on his tray to encourage him to feed himself and explore the food. Ironically this boy puts everything else in his mouth except food. He does pretty well picking up peas then rolls them in his hands and they end up on the floor.  He does put his spoon in his mouth, so I let him practice that some too.  LO loves to feed him, so between the three of us there are usually only a couple of bites for each of us to put in NB's mouth. I hope I'll do a better job of finding something  a little special for his Christmas dinner than I did for Thanksgiving.

DH and I have no idea what we'll do for this little guy for Christmas.  As his first one, I really feel like he should get something memorable, but he really doesn't need anything and we don't have space for extra stuff.  Just fifteen more days to figure that out!  I'm really excited that we will all four be home together this year, and hope we can make a little family time that feels peaceful and cozy, and maybe some that feels crazy and fun.

1 comment:

  1. NB you'll be chasing you big brother before your Mom and Dad have a chance to catch their breath!!! You so wanted to be "on the move" when we saw you last month. Somehow I have the feeling you will be quite the explorer!!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.