Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Stah-fee-ohh!

I'm sure DH will correct me on the finer details of this story, but the gist of it will remain the same.  When he was a tween his brother walked in on him dancing on the bed, singing at the top of his lungs to Stafio by the Rolling Stones.  What?  You don't know that one?  Sure you do...only it is better known by its given name "Start Me Up."  Depending on how well you know DH, you will agree that this story is a classic example of my man.  He LOVES his music (especially 80s music), but it must be for the great beat, because it certainly isn't for the lyrics.  Or maybe it is for the lyrics and they are so much better in his head because he's singing something totally different?  Knowing DH as I do, it was no surprise to me that nursery rhymes and children's songs were an equally challenging area for him.  I teased him before we had LO that he'd have to get the rhymes correct before we could have a baby.  In jest, he proceeded to practice "Mares eat oats, and does eats oats, and...."  I can't even tell you all the permutations of that one because there were too many, and they were too ridiculous to commit to memory.  I probably don't have to say that I let that criterion slide.  I did secretly hope that he'd pick up on them once LO started learning them.

Fast forward to LO a few months ago and again the last few nights in the bath tub.  (As an aside, let me just say how grateful and lucky I feel to have a man who does the dirty work during LO's bath time and lets me just enjoy it/run interference from the sidelines.)  While LO started requesting songs to be sung to him several months ago, I think it was really been this week that he has started to chime in and sing along.  I find this truly adorable.  My heart feels so joyful as he belts out a song so earnestly you can feel it. He started with ABCs and Row, Row, Row your boat, but has recently added favorites of Old MacDonald, I think I'm a Bunny, and Mango/Minko.  What? Never heard of the last two?  Well, the bunny song is legit and adorable.  The latter song, you'll recognize by it's given name of "Bingo."  Yep, it seems LO might just have DH's gift for lyrics.  So for the last two nights I have listened to my guys sing "There was a farmer had a dog and Mango was his name-o, M-A-N-G-O, M-A-N-G-O, M-A-N-G-O and Mango was his name-o!"  I'm thinking "mango" is more likely to show up on a spelling test one day than "bingo," and LO will have it in the bag.  Keep up the good work boys!

1 comment:

  1. We're talking "chip off the ol' block" here!!! Lyrical accuracy aside, and pardon the bias, but ya gotta love a heart with a song in it. Rock on, guys!

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.