LO had his 2 year check up on November 30th, and boy was that fun! We're so fortunate that he has only had to be seen once by a doctor for a visit other than a check-up. That happened to have fallen on October 14th this year (the day before his 2nd year party) when he complained of his ears hurting. Sure, I could have looked at them, but I am determined to just "be mommy" with him. So, about on the evening before his birthday, I carted him off to the after hours clinic to see the new pediatrician in the group who had freshly graduated from residency just three months before. LO put up quite a fight. (As an aside, I somehow feel that my child should automatically behave well at the doctor's office. I realize how irrational that actually is, but I hold out the hope every time. Then, every time, I want to crawl under the exam table as LO DOES NOT cooperate...to say the least. Yep, my kiddo is scared just like most other 2 year-olds, and he wants everyone to know about it!) Anyway, the poor doc had to scoop ear wax out of LO's ears, and, ultimately, couldn't really see them. He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and made a diagnosis anyway, but we both knew that he didn't really know if LO had an ear infection or not. I sympathize with the pressure the doc must have felt and the struggle he had to try and get a good exam. In the end, LO was rather put out, and we left without the answer we were seeking. (Consequently, LO had never complained of his ears hurting before then, but complained consistently for two days about them, and seemed to be cured after his exam. He has not complained of ear pain once since then...and I didn't get the prescription filled. Was he crying "wolf?")
All of that to say, my poor little guy pretty much associates the doctors office with either getting shots or that one sick visit. Of course I'm glad we've not been sick much, I just wish he knew that these people are my friends and colleagues and we're all just trying to keep him healthy. I'm sure that realization will occur any day now! So, there's not much else to say about our visit this time. I think our stats are fairly accurate in spite of being gathered in the midst of a tantrum. His official weight is 30 lbs (50-75%), he is 35 inches tall (50%), and his head is 49 1/2 cm around (50-75%). Dr H asked me what his favorite thing to do is and, without hesitation, I responded "eat." She laughed and said she meant running, climbing, or reading. "Yes, he enjoys those, but only if eating isn't an option." I'm pretty sure your stats back me up on that. This will be LO's last check-up visit for a year!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.