Nineteen minutes from now, six years ago, you made me a mom. You were born making faces like your Papa and with the longest eyelashes anyone had ever seen on a baby. You've grown and matured into quite the handsome boy (I'm allowed to think that, since I'm your mom!), and you are working on developing the right kind of heart to go along with it.
I am grateful for every day I get to help you along the way with that. I'm grateful for your belly laughs, your butterfly kisses (you give the best ones), your snuggles before bedtime, and what seems to be a growing heart for service. (Or maybe just serving food) You are a bright boy with a serious heart and a keen sense of justice. Lately, you'd like to put that to work as "a police," but you still really love your garbage trucks, and think you could be Batman in your down time. I think that sums up just how much you have matured. You have an interest in "real" jobs, but still enough imagination to don your capes and masks.
I think your reading skills are perhaps the most exciting and significant gains in recent months. We don't know yet at what level you are reading, but I suspect you'd give many first graders a run for their money. I love the excitement in your face and sense of accomplishment apparent when you read aloud to your Da and me. Today you read almost all of your birthday cards without help...words like "special" and "celebrate" rolled right off your tongue! I asked you today if I get a gift for bringing you into this world, but everyone knows that gift is having you. I will say that hearing you read feels like one of the many gifts you have given us.
So today, I want to remind you how much I love you. I will always love you the most of any person this side of Heaven. (ok, maybe you're Da loves you that much too) I love you in all your imperfections, as I hope you love me in mine. I love you not because you are smart, or handsome, or want to make me breakfast. While I love those things about you, and I love to watch all the other parts of your personality grow and develop. I just love YOU. I hope as you grow you'll have others in life who will show you that same kind of love and grace.
Happy Birthday to my boy who made me "mom" first. Who loves to eat, read, play police, play garbage truck, build with legos, and play superhero. Who gives a bashful smile when he's excited but doesn't want to show it. Who will still hold my hand, and say "look at me mama," and sometimes snuggle. Who rides his bike standing up, one handed, or no hands at all. Who likes to hear "people speak different language," and still asks "would you be available (instead of able) to play?" Who still doesn't like being cold or loud noises or unexpected things. I hope your coming year is one of wonder and growth, and that home will always be a safe place where you'll always know you're loved this much and more. Good night, sleep tight, I'll see you in the dawn.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.