Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

15 month check up

Well, so much for ultimatums. LO was completely unfazed by my deadline for him to be walking by today's check-up. Apparently he has the private line to our pediatrician who was also wholly unconcerned about his lack of walking (or standing) on his own. Her take is that he is normal and healthy in every other way and he is just too smart to take the risk of experiencing pain form falling while attempting to walk. Her own son did not walk until 16 1/2 months. I have to say I've had some considerable anxiety and even a few tears in the last few days as this appointment approached. I secretly wondered if suddenly I was on the train to a destination other than the one for which I had purchased a ticket. Not a bad place, just one for which I would have to prepare differently that I have been. On Sunday, when I heard the story of a baby girl who was born without a leg and would never run, play at recess or dance, it made me consider the life where LO never danced. I try my best not to examine LO. While I knew he was doing well in a lot of obvious ways, I stopped myself from checking other things that could have meant that his not walking was a sign of something more serious. It was a relief and a blessing today to hear officially, from someone I trust, that he has a normal exam still. I would not have chosen to wait until 18 months for him to walk, but I have new hope that he will walk before then. So after having the sinking realization that our family's life could be changed forever at today's appointment, I was so grateful to come home with absolutely everything the same. (Well, except that 2 ton weight lifted from my shoulders.)

So that was the big news, which was truly no news, of today's appointment. Otherwise, LO has gained on the weight and height curves to become average all the way around. His weight was 24 lbs, 14 oz (50%) and height 31 1/2 inches (50%). That's a pretty big weight gain for a kiddo his age, so I'm hoping he'll slow down a little over the next three months. He's a really big eater, so even though he's eating very healthy stuff, he does eat a lot of it! That's another reason he needs to get moving!



PS Happy Birthday Grams!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! :) Good checkup. I think all mothers put themselves through unnecessary anxiety about these things....you are normal. :) We just pray each day for the Lord's guidance and His safety and protection for our LOs.

    ReplyDelete

Please help us keep our little ones safe and anonymous on the web by not mentioning our location or their names. All other nice comments are encouraged! Thank you.